Thread: Safety Meeting

Default Safety Meeting

Featured Sponsor

As anyone who is responsible for the company Safety Meeting knows, it is a challenge to keep it relevant and interesting month after month.

I hope this forum will be used by all of the folks interested in the Safety Meeting aspect of the trade to collaborate and share what they are doing and what they would like to see happen. A collective, ongoing, international Safety Meeting that anyone can use the information in their home shop.

What was your last Safety Meeting like?

Our safety meeting are quite informal, but usually we get updates on job procedures , accident information to use in prevention, any rule changes, etc. They are generally quite good and nobody gets singled out for a problem , except in good fun!

Blog Entries

The problem with our safety meetings is that they quickly become operational meetings rather then focus on safety. When guys bring up concerns we get the typical "I'll get back you" bullshit answer.... And, of course, they never get back to us. Our safety programs sound good until an issue arises on the job, foremen like to give us the " just do as you're told" bullshit when we raise issues. That doesn't work with the seasoned linemen, but my concern is "green" guys working at nite who don't know when to tell the foremen to stick it up his ass. A lot of our foremen, not all, are as "green" or less experienced then our young guys. A recipe for disaster. I have spoken to the higher ups about this and they are aware of what goes on, when customers are out of lites many foremen wet their pants.....
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

4. Default

After 41 years in the business I can honestly say that the best safety meetings I ever attended were in the tavern after work.

Default Safety Meetings

I guess the format is the same in most places. We usually review any accidents or near misses from the previous month or so. Sometimes we are given information about a neighboring utility incident. Any new bulletins put out by engineering are discussed, or new equipment. And after an hour or so when the whining starts it's over!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

I can remember meetings where they would actually tell you what a lineman was doing when he was hurt,and they would point out his mistakes.......also they had a saying called preventable or non-preventable,I don't know if that is even allowed anymore.One thing I do know....you have better not be messing with your phone during the meeting ,in our case you didn't have to worry cause we didn't have any! Like lbr said..the company would say that the accident was under investigation,even a month after.I learned that it usually meant that you wouldn't be hearing from them again.And months later if a lineman would bring a certain accident up for follow-up,the company /supervisor/safety-man would have a huge brain fart and look at you like he didn't understand English.
    Last edited by reppy007; 03-17-2016 at 02:27 PM.

We have a safety meeting every week on the first day of the week that we return to work, we talk about accidents that we hear about and things that were maybe near miss things from the previous week, I tell the young guys about accidents that happened over 25 years ago that still apply today, sometimes we will watch a video such as Kyle Roberts the tale of two snakes or it could cost you the shirt off of your back or some other linework related safety tape. I guess our biggest thing we try to beat into our younger guys is the motto that we all try to go by if you are going to work a line dead, Open, Check open, Test, Tag, and Ground, because you just about can't screw it up if you get that beat into their heads, once you get everybody on board that their safety is their own responsibility, don't wait on the company or some safety man to provide it for you, provide it for yourself and your fellow co-workers. Charlie.

Default Handline Lifeline

Featured Sponsorr

I know I have mentioned it before but, we have a copy of the classic Safety film "Handline Lifeline at http://bit.ly/1i2fBMV

It is narrated by Glenn Ford. It was produced in the Sixties. A little blast from the past but still relevant today.

bd

ps: View it with something besides Internet Explorer.