1. Default Fall Protection?

Featured Sponsor

Hello PL. Since April of 2015 my company ( much like the rest) have mandated fall protection and I was wondering what people are using. Any preferences? Have a few that seem pretty good but don't know how actual linemen feel about them. I promise I'm not a promoter and have been in the trade for nine years, so just like you, I am used to free climbing. Any insight is welcome.

Thanks.

I get to choose my own fall protection and after much research, I went with the Cynch Lok by DBI/Sala. It's not free climbing, but not a super pain either. There are some decent YouTube videos, if you are curious how it works.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks Mark, I was curious about the Cynch-Lok but wanted to know how it was being received by linemen in the field. I will definitely look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cstanworth View Post
    Thanks Mark, I was curious about the Cynch-Lok but wanted to know how it was being received by linemen in the field. I will definitely look into it.
    For the record, I'm not a lineman. I'm an electrician, but I do work MV on occasion at the Navy where our bases have primary metering. I also have customers that have private poles on their properties so I do get to climb a bit.

Mark

Default Jel#o

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Cstanworth View Post
    Hello PL. Since April of 2015 my company ( much like the rest) have mandated fall protection and I was wondering what people are using. Any preferences? Have a few that seem pretty good but don't know how actual linemen feel about them. I promise I'm not a promoter and have been in the trade for nine years, so just like you, I am used to free climbing. Any insight is welcome.

Thanks.
    You can park you cinch strap and free climb. I free climb. When the safety guy comes by put the yellow strap around the pole. Also when you have so much hardware below where you can't fall, you can use it as a regular positioning strap.

that B###########m rope safety is pricy for transitions cheaper and better quality at arbor sites. Better cams and rope brake. And there are types where they coil up so you don't gaff the second safety. The seatbelt type is junk. It hangs 3 inches out of your hip and hangs up on phone services.

the only problem there is so much metal on it, that going through bare open wire and have to swing it under a can with bare spots it could be a bomb.

i don't think the safety products, the government thought stuff out. They created more hazards with more rules. Just teach people to climb is so much better than all the crap they are pushing.

sometimes bailing off a pole and dropping to the phone is safer. Originally when your frozen up, your upper body is frozen and your feet are the only option. So you break contact by cutting out. That was taught by the old guys. You might skin your ball sack, bang your knees, get an injury that might need some first aid but your alive! Instead of being hung up and acting as load! When you are load, your brain can only control your feet.

We were pulling in triplex and getting rid of the open wire. And the can was a mess. I was hard siding it. And the guys pinning it made their connections on the neutral. I bumped a bare Kearney on the hot leg of the can. Saw white. And woke up on the phone. Cutting out broke the circuit. My balls hurt. Got my senses. Put on my gloves went back to work and made the connections. I was embarrassed about it. I bought my own secondaries ever since. Didn't have Kunz but cheap Home Depot leathers.