Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Default Any "Free" lineman colleges/training programs?

    Featured Sponsor

    Hey guys, i've been looking to become a lineman for the past several years because it's been a life long dream of mine. Unfortunately, due to my credit I cannot get a loan to go to places like SELCAT, SLTC, NWLC Etc... I know there are a few programs that will train you for a couple weeks then hand you to one of their contractors but they require a CDL. If anything do you guys know of any reasonably cheap lineman programs? Like under 3,000?

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traindune View Post
    Hey guys, i've been looking to become a lineman for the past several years because it's been a life long dream of mine. Unfortunately, due to my credit I cannot get a loan to go to places like SELCAT, SLTC, NWLC Etc... I know there are a few programs that will train you for a couple weeks then hand you to one of their contractors but they require a CDL. If anything do you guys know of any reasonably cheap lineman programs? Like under 3,000?
    With all respect, get a CDL FIRST...by yourself. You need to bring Something to the plate.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    With all respect, get a CDL FIRST...by yourself. You need to bring Something to the plate.
    So probably skip the lineman colleges and just get my CDL and join an apprenticeship?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South East Texas
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Umm yes not only is an apprenticeship free it pays you while you lurn

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traindune View Post
    So probably skip the lineman colleges and just get my CDL and join an apprenticeship?
    I'd say so. And, try to get on with a Non union contractor, it will be much easier. THEN, after you have a couple 2-3 years on linecrew under your belt, NOW go to a union shop and see what they will do for ya. Lost a lot of real good apprentices to the union that way. Actually...I encouraged them to take the jump.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Yeah go the apprenticeship route right off the bat. What I have seen of these schools, all they really manage to do well ,is empty your wallet. Now getting a commercial drivers licence ,(class A preferred) isn't a bad idea, we are having a heck of a time with guys not having a class 'A' to draw a pole trailer with. It would help put you at the top of the list!

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Yeah go the apprenticeship route right off the bat. What I have seen of these schools, all they really manage to do well ,is empty your wallet. Now getting a commercial drivers licence ,(class A preferred) isn't a bad idea, we are having a heck of a time with guys not having a class 'A' to draw a pole trailer with. It would help put you at the top of the list!
    man, I wish I listened to my Osha-10 instructor, who said "You can wipe your ass with the climbing cert, if you don't have CDL A!"

    Here I am; I know how to climb, but the lack of CDL A is killing me.

    Btw, I went to Los Angeles Trade Technical College for free. The catch is

    1. You have to apply for FAFSA to get your enrollment fee waived.
    2. There are 2/3 pre-requisite classes. Basic Math, Electrical Wiring, (and I think they just added DC Electrical Theory)
    3. You can test out of those classes by taking exams. Talk to Mercedes, the one in charge of the program.
    http://college.lattc.edu/cmu/program...ining-program/

    Good luck
    Last edited by OverEasy; 03-03-2016 at 07:44 PM.

  8. Default

    PG&E in California hires Apprentice Lineman training provided

  9. Default

    Featured Sponsorr

    Quote Originally Posted by MabelRae View Post
    PG&E in California hires Apprentice Lineman training provided
    I think your post..."mabelrae", is an advertisement. You should contact Byron, and ask to be an advertiser, and maby Pay a bit to byron...for advertizing his site. Just a thought.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •