Default Northwest linesman college? From the oil industry?

Featured Sponsor

Hello All, thanks for taking the time to read this. I am 38 years old, have spent the last 15 years in the offshore gulf of mexico on ships and oil rigs, making a good living. Well, its all coming to an end due to the oil market crash. My background is a ships engineer, dealing with all types of repairs, including electrical up to 11kv.
    My plan is now to go to Northwest Lineman College, but not necessarily to be a linesman, I just need certification and training in high voltage, and it seems very difficult to find other programs(that only take 15weeks). I have the cash, and am registered, but can back out if needed.

My goal is to work for PG&E, in power plants, or testing relays, but not to be a linesman. Can anyone tell me if this is a good plan? Or turn me on to better coursework in the US? I support a family of 5, so I cant afford to do a two year program, not enough savings.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Default Northwestern Lineman College

Hello again, I realize I am replying to my own thread here, but has anyone gone to this school?

Has it helped anyone get a job other than Apprentice Lineman? Or is it a waste of money for anything else?

Any ideas at all on other schools for power distribution and equipment?

Thanks

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Check out www.avotraining.com might be what you are looking for. Here at the Airport we rack the breakers out, (34.5KV, 12.47KV and 4.1KV) but have Siemans Hi Pot them. The local guy dates back to the days of Westinghouse. He keeps his certification current using AVO. I've considered using their training myself and find employment away from St. Louis. Also, check out www.electriciantalk.com they are more in line with what we do.
    CH
    Last edited by stiffneck; 02-14-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

Angry northwest linemans college

I can tell you from personal experience it is a waste of time and money. I have been with pg&e for 30 years,my son went through the school, graduated in the top 5%. he also did all the extra tasks and won several merit recognitions. I took him to the pge assessments day,introduced him to several management people,he passed with flying colors. well, that night he got an e mail saying he did not get a job because there was a man more qualified. so my advice to you is save your money and find a different route.

We have hired 2 graduates from NLC. I've visited several programs and theirs is top-notch. The president of the college visited our co-op this past summer and checked in on his graduates.

For us if we had several applicants and all else was equal, we would likely hire the graduate from NLC
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Default Certification ?

What high voltage certification will you receive from NLC?
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Rob,
    There is no "High Voltage Certification" from NLC that I know of. We hire these graduates as apprentices.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
    Check out www.avotraining.com might be what you are looking for. Here at the Airport we rack the breakers out, (34.5KV, 12.47KV and 4.1KV) but have Siemans Hi Pot them. The local guy dates back to the days of Westinghouse. He keeps his certification current using AVO. I've considered using their training myself and find employment away from St. Louis. Also, check out www.electriciantalk.com they are more in line with what we do.
    CH
    Thank you very much, this helps. From what I am gathering, NLC is entry level, and not really what I am looking for.

Default Thanks this helps.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
    CH
    Thanks Stiffneck, this is just what I was looking for. Might get my foot in the door anyway.