Thread: Cross arm

Default Cross arm

Featured Sponsor

When installing a cross arm at the top of the pole do you put the centre phase on the arm or the pole? We put it on the pole where I think it belongs, but curious why some put it on the arm, does not make sence to me.

I have seen and done it both ways, depends on the job requirements.

We put the center phase on the arm because that is our specs, I personally like it better on a pole top pin as it makes it easier to change the crossarm out since you don't have to move the center phase up on a short layout arm, the days of moving it up on a screwdriver and a double gut are over. On a side note, I have never seen a co-op put the center phase on the arm, but there could be some out there.

Pole.....unless the top of the pole has been burned off.

Blog Entries

On a ridge pin on the pole.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default Ny

Here it's mounted on a pole top pin. I believe the reason being is it gives you more clearance between phases and like Charlie said, it's easier to change out the arm.

sorry lewy, just reread your question! Not sure why they put all 3 on the arm....
    Last edited by Rob; 03-07-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: My bad
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Depends what the job calls for. Sometimes on a pole top pin, sometimes on the arm. Oh, then there's my favorite, three phases AND the neutral on the arm.

I guess its kinda like why some places mount the neutral above the transformers,Ive never liked it ,makes no ¢¢¢ to me .
    Last edited by reppy007; 03-08-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Featured Sponsorr

One reason for placing the center phase on the x-arm is to allow fly taps midspan.