Thread: Advice Needed

Default Advice Needed

Featured Sponsor

Hey, everyone. Just joined the forum and have been reading around for some time now but just wanted some pointers from all of you that've "been there, done that".

I'm currently stationed in Parris Island (USMC) with about 7 months left on my contract. I've been planning on working my way towards becoming a journeyman lineman since before I joined. Now that I have a decent chunk of change saved up and the GI Bill on my side, I'll be signing up for NWLC in Cali starting this November. Now, most of the research I've been doing has resulted in conflicting opinions. Some people seem to think that schools like NWLC are redundant at best, while others think that its well worth it and gives you an upper hand in some circumstances. Since I can go through it for free, I figure why the hell not? At the very least, I figure I'll gain some practical knowledge as well as the possible added benefit of recruiters taking me more seriously.

So some of the questions I have are:

Will NWLC be worth it?

How difficult is it to get hired on as a grunt with no experience?

What can I do in the next 7 months to better prepare myself?

I've downloaded the Lineman and Cableman's handbook and have been reading up on other various books on electrical theory. I also am studying the handbook for obtaining a Class A CDL.

I'm in top physical shape and, being infantry for over three years, know what its like to work long hours in the elements and "embrace the suck". I know its not quite the same, but shouldn't be too hard of a transition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You all for your time and dedication. You guys motivate the hell outta me!

Blog Entries

First and foremost, thank you for your service. I have no experience with NWLC so I have no opinion to give on that. Check out this link, you may or may not be interested in it.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Twtr9Sonc4w
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

I think it is a good idea to go to a lineman school/program. I have my Class A, Osha 10, First Aid/CPR, and Flagger Cert and still have not got my chance at power yet. I am a lineman for a phone company but that isn't the same as a power lineman. I put my name on the wait list 1 1/2 years ago at East LA Skills Center and finally got contacted to go. I start in August. Having line school plus your military experience will make you look really good from an HR standpoint. Since it is free with your GI funding, I would go.

Thumbs up

I know getting your Class A can be expensive out of pocket. I know some people are spending thousands for training. Not sure if you will be in So Cal anytime, but I got my Class A for $700. I looked around and read reviews for all kinds of CDL training programs. I landed at Orange County Truck Rental. The guy that owns it is cool as hell. His name is Chris (714)227-6254. It was a bargain compared to other schools to say the least. I got like 6 hours of hands on training with the truck a few days before my DMV drive test. Then a few more hours practice on the day of. He gives you all the material you need to study and has youtube videos if you don't like to read. If you are trying to save some cash and already know how to drive a stick, I think this was the best way to go... at least for me. I hope this helps anyone else who may need their Class A. Call and make an appointment asap just because the DMV drive test appointments are backed up. You might find yourself waiting a while. Thanks for serving and protecting us! I salute you and have much respect for any and all that have served.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal Rooted View Post
    I know getting your Class A can be expensive out of pocket. I know some people are spending thousands for training. Not sure if you will be in So Cal anytime, but I got my Class A for $700. I looked around and read reviews for all kinds of CDL training programs. I landed at Orange County Truck Rental. The guy that owns it is cool as hell. His name is Chris (714)227-6254. It was a bargain compared to other schools to say the least. I got like 6 hours of hands on training with the truck a few days before my DMV drive test. Then a few more hours practice on the day of. He gives you all the material you need to study and has youtube videos if you don't like to read. If you are trying to save some cash and already know how to drive a stick, I think this was the best way to go... at least for me. I hope this helps anyone else who may need their Class A. Call and make an appointment asap just because the DMV drive test appointments are backed up. You might find yourself waiting a while. Thanks for serving and protecting us! I salute you and have much respect for any and all that have served.
    How long did it take you to pass? How was the pre trip? That's what I'm worried about. The school I was looking at in Corona was 1,500 and if you can't pass after the set hours they give you, you have to pay more. I called my local 47 and they recommend a school that was $700, this must be it.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick26 View Post
    How long did it take you to pass? How was the pre trip? That's what I'm worried about. The school I was looking at in Corona was 1,500 and if you can't pass after the set hours they give you, you have to pay more. I called my local 47 and they recommend a school that was $700, this must be it.
    I passed the first time. The drive test was about 2 hours total. I would have been done earlier but there were 3 people ahead of me for the parking skills portion of the test. The only downer was, when I scheduled this training, the DMV was backed up about 2 months for drive test appointments. If you don't pass the first time, it will cost you more to rent the truck. But he wants you to pass the first time. Studying the material that he gave made the pre inspection a breeze. I would suggest you already have the studying down before you get time in the truck. That way you spend all your time getting comfortable in the truck you will be using for your test.

7. Default

I did the NWLC book course. They teach you a lot. If you can go to it free, I would. It's got to look better than the next guy with no training on a resume. Plus, even if you have to do an apprenticeship with a LU or a utility company, you'll be way ahead climbing and framing. Could be enough to get you in with a contractor even if temporary until you get the job you want. Good luck and thanks for your service!

8. Default

I'll add this too. There are hundreds of small municipal power companies across the country. I work for one of them. It is extremely hard for us to get help and I hear this from the other muni's too. Our pay is probably lower than some lineman get but the benefits are huge.

All the applicants we hired that were EX utility lineman didn't work out. Hiring someone with no experience is also rough because it's a dangerous job and that puts the training on us and we don't have the resources like a big corporation does.

We'd take a good look at an NWLC graduate if we needed another lineman.

9. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Any more updates on this, this is a good thread