Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TRAMPLINEMAN View Post
    Over the last couple years, I've read a lot of posts similar to this one. It's always about an older lineman complaining about the younger lineman or apprentices not knowing things. Well, the way I see it, that means you have failed as an older lineman. It was your duty and responsibility to train the younger guys coming up just as the older guys trained you. Every apprentice I've ever had under my care can do anything that's asked of them. Why? Because it was my job to train them to do every thing I possibly could. They are a direct reflection of me and I'll be damned if I'm going to send someone out without teaching them every thing I possibly could.
    EVERY apprentice I ever had, I've taken the time to pass on everything I have learned in Linework, since workin for "tiny" Foster, in Rantoul Ill. in 1969, to every apprentice I have ever had. And I've had...a few. There's "different" types and ways of..."Learnin Powerline Work." Remember that.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

I do agree with ya Tramp, BUT, most of the apprentices we have will not take the time to learn things such as splicing an eye in a rope. They do well to even learn how to tie a bowline. Quite often its not us older fellas trying to pass on skills , its the younger fellas not wanting to learn. They think they know better!

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I do agree with ya Tramp, BUT, most of the apprentices we have will not take the time to learn things such as splicing an eye in a rope. They do well to even learn how to tie a bowline. Quite often its not us older fellas trying to pass on skills , its the younger fellas not wanting to learn. They think they know better!
    I understand what you are saying. Over the years, if I remember correctly, I've had two of these types. Both had gone thru a line school. Both of them thought they were a lineman right out of school cause that's what they were told in line school. Well, neither of those kids are with us anymore, as in out of the trade completely. I'm on a four man transmission crew. Two of us have been together for eight years and the third has been with us for two years. The three of us are lineman and our fourth is usually an apprentice. We told our superintendent quite a few years ago now that we no longer will take an apprentice from a line school. We've been getting apprentices right off the street with no experience who are willing to learn and are turning out to be exceptional lineman.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TRAMPLINEMAN View Post
    I understand what you are saying. Over the years, if I remember correctly, I've had two of these types. Both had gone thru a line school.
    Never had an apprentice that went to a "school" to become an apprentice. I walked into a guys office...the "Electrical Superintendent"...and said I'm here for the job of apprentice Lineman. He stood up, all 5' 6" of his ass...Looked me up and down, and said..."You're Hired". I'm 6' 4". They offered me 20 bucks more a week than Ma Bell did at that time. 1969. Just married. So...I'm not all...into "schools" or union app ships. That's probably why I worked non union all my life. Raised a lot of good Apps, that I saw, turn into good Linemen. Not Union Linemen. Just Good God Damn LINEMEN. I'm sure those boys comin out of "School" are all educated and shit. If I was hirin, as a utility or a Corp. I'd hire a guy that was raised by contractors...rather than one that went to "school". I've had guys stop on the street, park and come up to me and say..."Hay, How can I Hire on to this company...I would love to do this type of work". THOSE are the type of Apprentices I had.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

5. Default

When I was in PSE&G training, I'll tell you this. If the instructor told me to tie a couple of half hitches on a wire and I tied a clove hitch, I'd be doing it over until I did what the guy asked. If I continued to buck the system, I'd be out of line school. END OF STORY. Of course out in the field there are many options. They even taught us stuff and then said, "you'll probably never do it this way out in the field but I have to show you this method". Maybe this thread should have been titled, "what to do with extremely stubborn apprentices".

Around my neck of the woods , it really doesn't matter if the apprentices can actually do linework, they are just pushed through and tolerated. I had a situation a few years ago , working around a crew of apprentices,, where I gave an apprentice crap for something he did, I don't remember what now but it was deadly. Well the supervisor took me aside and told me I could not give him crap ( I yelled at him). Instead I was supposed to take him aside and politely explain what he did wrong and explain the reasons he shouldn't do that. All the while trying to make him feel like his ego was being stroked. My response to the supervisor was he won't remember that garbage, but he will remember me yelling at him, and it just might save his life someday!

I have only met 1 or 2 apprentices in a long time that would actually want you to teach them something. For example. I often use what I call a pipe wrap for raising or lowering wire. I had 1 guy come up to me and ask me to show him this knot. It took him a while but he persisted and got it right.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Around my neck of the woods , it really doesn't matter if the apprentices can actually do linework, they are just pushed through and tolerated. I had a situation a few years ago , working around a crew of apprentices,, where I gave an apprentice crap for something he did, I don't remember what now but it was deadly. Well the supervisor took me aside and told me I could not give him crap ( I yelled at him). Instead I was supposed to take him aside and politely explain what he did wrong and explain the reasons he shouldn't do that. All the while trying to make him feel like his ego was being stroked. My response to the supervisor was he won't remember that garbage, but he will remember me yelling at him, and it just might save his life someday!

I have only met 1 or 2 apprentices in a long time that would actually want you to teach them something. For example. I often use what I call a pipe wrap for raising or lowering wire. I had 1 guy come up to me and ask me to show him this knot. It took him a while but he persisted and got it right.
    Put them in the corner and count to three!! I am sure the supervisor would go for that. May be time outs work better for the modern apprentices?