Default East LA Skills Center Orientation

Featured Sponsor

I was encouraged by another member to report what to expect from the orientation at ELASC. Here's what happened today:

Note: We were sent an email with specific instructions on it a few weeks prior to the orientation. FOLLOW EXACTLY WHAT THE EMAIL SAYS!

We were brought into a big conference type room with the rest of the potential class. There were about 100 people invited. We were told that only about 65 people would attend the next class. Out of those 65, it is estimated that half will drop out before the first few weeks. Most followed the instructions but there were people that did not (Instructed to bring a print out of your email).

The instructor came in and talked about what would be expected from us, how demanding this class is, and how rewarding this career is.

Then some of those already in class gave us their point of view on how hard the class is and that it would be smart for us to start getting in shape before hand. They let us know that we would be running about 3.5 miles every morning before starting training. They also informed us that we would eventually work up to about 5 miles a day. Some of those in class are ex military guys and say it is harder than being in the military (Just in the fact that this school is sink or swim with no real gradual build up in physical conditioning). They were not trying to "scare you straight". They seem like they just want to genuinely let you know what to expect.

Then we got to ask questions. After all the questions, we all took a general comprehension test. I don't know the results yet. The instructor and administrator told us it is just to make sure we can comprehend general instruction. (It was reading passages and answering questions related to the reading). They also told us we need to have at least completed an Algebra 1 class.

Now we wait until we get an email. Everyone will get an email. It will give us specific instruction on how to register for the class. They said it is first come firs serve. So the first 65 will get in and I believe they said all the others will be enrolled for the next class.

The instructor said the wait list is getting longer with about 2,000 on the wait list each year.

2. Thumbs up Let's compare LATTC climbing school, so people can figure out where to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal Rooted View Post

Out of those 65, it is estimated that half will drop out before the first few weeks.

Then some of those already in class gave us their point of view on how hard the class is and that it would be smart for us to start getting in shape before hand. They let us know that we would be running about 3.5 miles every morning before starting training. They also informed us that we would eventually work up to about 5 miles a day. Some of those in class are ex military guys and say it is harder than being in the military (Just in the fact that this school is sink or swim with no real gradual build up in physical conditioning). They were not trying to "scare you straight". They seem like they just want to genuinely let you know what to expect.

The instructor said the wait list is getting longer with about 2,000 on the wait list each year.

At first, I thought, man 65 is a huge class!

Then I read that you would be "running 3.5 miles"
    Damn, dude, at LATTC, we jogged/walked 2 miles every day. And I thought that was hard in first week or so, but you get used to it.

5 miles running sounds challenging & that 2,000 on the waitlist is insane lol. It was easy for me to get into LATTC, because the waitlist was short and people were dropping like flies in the 2 pre-requisite courses (from 34 to 11 people).

ECONMT 116 & 119. Hand wiring tools and Basic Electrical Math. IMO they have no relation to the climbing school = bs courses. I think LATTC just added another ECONMT course as a pre-requisite , AC or DC theory.

Now there are 3 pre-requisite courses before you can get enrolled/waitlisted for LATTC power line Mechanic Trainee Program.

My climbing class started with 25 people for the summer, and only 2 people dropped out.

Keep us updated, I am curious about the intensity of ELASC climbing school. Thanks for the info man.

Quote Originally Posted by OverEasy View Post
    At first, I thought, man 65 is a huge class!

Then I read that you would be "running 3.5 miles"
    Damn, dude, at LATTC, we jogged/walked 2 miles every day. And I thought that was hard in first week or so, but you get used to it.

5 miles running sounds challenging & that 2,000 on the waitlist is insane lol. It was easy for me to get into LATTC, because the waitlist was short and people were dropping like flies in the 2 pre-requisite courses (from 34 to 11 people).

ECONMT 116 & 119. Hand wiring tools and Basic Electrical Math. IMO they have no relation to the climbing school = bs courses. I think LATTC just added another ECONMT course as a pre-requisite , AC or DC theory.

Now there are 3 pre-requisite courses before you can get enrolled/waitlisted for LATTC power line Mechanic Trainee Program.

My climbing class started with 25 people for the summer, and only 2 people dropped out.

Keep us updated, I am curious about the intensity of ELASC climbing school. Thanks for the info man.
    No prob. I will update as I go along. The administrator was pretty confident that this is the most challenging of all the schools. He did mention that other schools don't condition as hard and verified like you said about other schools letting people walk or just log hours into the program to get their cert. They made it clear that there is no time to rest or slacking off. They seem like they don't mind if you're not physically gifted but that you don't give up and test your will.

The instructor, Mr. Estrada, was very humble about it. What I mentioned above was out of the administrator's mouth, not the instructor. The instructor seems like a straight shooter with no bullshit. I can appreciate how it sounds like he runs the program. I know that when I get my chance, I want the people I work with to take the job as serious as I will with no bullshit attached.

Just to update: Today was the first day for registration. They were only accepting the first 65 students for the next class (You had to go to the orientation). First come, first serve. Registration started at 8 am. Many people got there early to make sure they reserved a spot. I got there about 5 minutes after 8. I was like number 54. It seems like if you don't register the first day then you are SOL s(hit out of luck). I got out of there around 10:30 am. The staff is sure that by the end of the day all spots will be filled. There are 3 phases (classes) to this program. Power Line Systems 1, 2, and 3. You have to pay for each one as it comes (not all up front). The first phase is the cheapest. Its $240 today plus $95 for a book. The next phases are $540 bucks each plus whatever the next book costs. I start August 16th. I'll keep an updated log on this thread.

Featured Sponsorr

I would continue to update how the climbing school experience was in East LA but I just got a groundman offer at SCE! Timing couldn't be more perfect. I am so lucky and blessed! Thank you Jesus! I would encourage anyone who does go to East LA Skills to continue to help those who may read this thread and let others know what to expect. Wish me luck!