Default 3/8 guy steel preform breakage

Featured Sponsor

He fellas, how is everybody doing? Has anybody heard from Reppy?

Well I have been working on a construction project , new 60 foot poles, in existing , being converted to a higher voltage. Recently we got the new wire strung. Just the other day on the way to the job as I passed the one dead end pole I noticed a down guy had broken. I stopped and looked and guess what? A brand new down guy had broken away from the strain insulator, in fact the eye in the preform had broken. I had never seen this before in my almost 30 years in the trade. All the parts were brand new. The type of strain insulator we used is made like a small fiberglass rod with thimble eyes in each end. It is impossible to get the preform in it wrong. I am hoping it was just defective equipment.

The line we built is a new double circuit. Each phase has a tension of about 800 pounds, and there are down guys at every dead end, so no way it is overloaded. We replaced the guy and repulled it with a 1.5 ton hoist.

Anybody else have this happen?

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post

Well I have been working on a construction project , new 60 foot poles, in existing , being converted to a higher voltage. Recently we got the new wire strung. Just the other day on the way to the job as I passed the one dead end pole I noticed a down guy had broken. I stopped and looked and guess what? A brand new down guy had broken away from the strain insulator, in fact the eye in the preform had broken. I had never seen this before in my almost 30 years in the trade. All the parts were brand new. The type of strain insulator we used is made like a small fiberglass rod with thimble eyes in each end. It is impossible to get the preform in it wrong. I am hoping it was just defective equipment.

The line we built is a new double circuit. Each phase has a tension of about 800 pounds, and there are down guys at every dead end, so no way it is overloaded. We replaced the guy and repulled it with a 1.5 ton hoist.

I am supprised they only used 3/8's on that kind of load. There must have been more than one guy backing up that weight?

Seen the links between the fiberglass breakers fail and have seen a few of the breakers fail but have never seen the eye of a preformed guy wrap fail on a new job, saw some fail that were really old and had been under water for extended periods of time.

I've seen them break at the guy strain, but only because whoever installed the preform wrapped half of the eye over the roller. I've seen the eyes break when someone wrapped the preform directly into a 30K shackle, then overloaded it. I've never seen one break from a thimble eye. I haven't installed a new 3/8 preform on a down guy in years. They pretty much only install 7/16 and bigger around here, on transmission anyway.

Blog Entries

I emailed Reppy a few weeks ago, no reply, I hope all is well with him.

Ive never seen a guy preform that was installed properly on the thimble fail...... And believe me, I've over stressed a few in my day...... Maybe a bad preform......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Never seen it either and I sure you have used them on tensioned neutrals with more than double that tension with no problems, must have been a defective or damaged preform.

Well I have the preform in my possession and will try to get a picture of it on here, and one of the type of stain insulator they have us using. As near as we can figure it must have been a defect. Yes, Lewy, some years ago we used to spin secondary buss and neutral onto a 3/8 steel strand tensioned to about 3000 pounds. Of course it was a 1.5 ton chain hoist pulled up all you can and a little bit more.

Featured Sponsorr

Well I have the preform in my possession and will try to get a picture of it on here, and one of the type of stain insulator they have us using. As near as we can figure it must have been a defect. Yes, Lewy, some years ago we used to spin secondary buss and neutral onto a 3/8 steel strand tensioned to about 3000 pounds. Of course it was a 1.5 ton chain hoist pulled up all you can and a little bit more.

I'm curious was he guy wire Extra High Tensile strength