1. Default Is there any lineman Journeyman or apprentice here thats willing to share there story

Featured Sponsor

\

Is there any lineman Journeyman or apprentice here thats willing to share there story

What made you become a lineman? do you go to a school or did you get an apprenticeship with the union?

2. Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Motivedx2 View Post

\

Is there any lineman Journeyman or apprentice here thats willing to share there story

What made you become a lineman? do you go to a school or did you get an apprenticeship with the union?
    I was just getting married and the local town in Ill. I was in had an ad in the paper they were hiring an Appretice Lineman. Ma Bell Was also Hiring Apprentice Linemen. I went with the utility cause It was 25 cents more an hour. :-) They sent me to schools and I was trained by the old Linemen. This was back 40 odd years ago though. Ya really can't do that nowdays. Ya need to go to a school...pay money, and hope for the best when ya get out. If ya got a CDL, you could try to hire on with a contractor, Union or non. That would get your foot in the door and go from there. Non union contractors would hire you right off the street with a CDL. Don't know about union contractors. Good Luck To ya!!
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default If

I'd love to tell you my story but I'm at it over 34 years now and if I wrote my life story ...I would have to put it in the fiction section of the library coz no one would believe it . 😁 I'm still climbing ( at 54 ) " I spiked up 16 poles yesterday. ..
    To tell you the truth at one stage I actually thought I was in a different country than the one I'm in .. I've worked in so many places and yesterday's terrain looked very similar to the last country I worked in ....I was thinking that if we get finished early I could get the ferry back to Ireland on Friday. But I'm already in Ireland .... a long way from where I live but the same country. FFS
    Understandable mistake as I'm the only Irish man in this crew 11 Portuguese, 1 Romanian. And a Scot. No wounder I'm going mental.
    Plus the fact I've worked in a lot of different country's over the years.

I need a holiday
    😱
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

16 poles in one day for 1 man is a lot, especially if there is much to do, some of the rest of your bunch must not be getting after it.

Blog Entries

Bren like LNF says, 16 poles to hump is a lot of work lad, what type of work ya doing on the pole??????
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Bren like LNF says, 16 poles to hump is a lot of work lad, what type of work ya doing on the pole??????
    they were all 3 phase junction poles !!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default Nit that bad

Installing fibre optic on poles ... it wasn't the amount of poles I've climbed more in a day ... but the terrain dictated that I had to walk between poles as well ( through ditches and streams ) a part if the job I'm not to worried about....what anoys me is being the oldest in the crew of 14 in which only 4 were climbing WHAT GETS MY GOAT IS THE FACT THAT WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME RATE OF PAY. 😱😱😱😱 I'm gonna see about moving on ..... unfortunately it might mean traveling back to the UK ,,
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    they were all 3 phase junction poles !!

Lmao........!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Featured Sponsorr

Welcome to the new world order , Bren, the young lads watch the older fellas work while they play on their cell phones or talk about nothing. Oh yeah , and not one keeping an eye on you!