Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Linemen are Extinct

Featured Sponsor

I hope not! But, there aren't many running up and down poles or in buckets these days. Or at least not around here. The Boss said they should have started 10 years earlier in training. And won't hire any unless they are certified. Many have retired and no trouble guys at the moment. And as you all know, thunder storms are the norm here in FL. Boss has pulled a lot of late nights. Actually morning hours. As a matter of fact, he is sleeping now. Left at 5pm and came in at 2am. This was the 4th night this week.

Are ya'll feeling the bite where you are? What are the companies doing where you are? Hopefully they saw the future on the wall. I know we talked about this before, but it is here now!
    Last edited by LostArt; 07-17-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: day gum auto correct

Hey there Lost Lady?

3. Default

Well hello there Ms. LA.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

LA! Good to hear from you!

Blog Entries

And just where have you been young lady??? 😉 Great to see you post!😎

Far as your question, well Been dealing with that for the last 12 to 15 years...... Tell the boss I wish him luck dealing with it.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by barehander View Post
    Hey there Lost Lady?
    Hey BH! I think I called you by mistake the other day! I had my grandchild with me. It happens a good bit when I try to keep my phone on me!

how are you? You doing okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Well hello there Ms. LA.
    Are you behaving Swamp? Nevermind, don't know why I am even asking! Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by lineman View Post
    LA! Good to hear from you!
    Hey Byron! You seem to be doing a great job here buddy! Hope you and yours are well.

Hey Georgie! Now I have heard from you now and again. Always great to hear from you!

He didn't get called out last night which was a relief. Yeah, I realize it is bad all over. Just don't know how long the older linemen can hold out. You know what I mean? They ain't spry and bushy tailed like they use to be. It takes a toll on even the younger of the old after while.

Had a lineman and friend break his ankle on the job the other night up in Lake City district. And the Boss said the Lake City office is in worse need than they are. They have been helping them out.

When you have 40, 50, and 60 year olds on the job, that are holding it all together, that makes it tough. And I mean tough on them. And between me and y'all, they just don't make them like they are anymore. And most of the new ones expect more for nothing. And then they realize it is hard work or the work isn't for them. They aren't the same as those from 50 years ago. I realize times change, you have new safety regulations, and safety tools which are used now, but the work hasn't changed.

Anyway, I hate that it is the way it is now. But, if there isn't a future plan in motion now, we are in a lot of trouble.

Had to explain to my 88 year old mother-in-law the other day why she still didn't have electricity. They were out of power from 5pm to 12pm the next day. I told her that there weren't enough lineman to keep everyone in the county when there is a little bad weather. And the very same reason her son has worked through a day, all night to the wee hours of the morning. And back at it the next day.

When folks are out of power for 20 hours...or even less, they don't get it. The average Joe and Jane out there won't get it.

Okay, I know I am talking to the choir, so be careful out there! Be safe!

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by LostArt View Post
    Hey Georgie! Now I have heard from you now and again. Always great to hear from you!

He didn't get called out last night which was a relief. Yeah, I realize it is bad all over. Just don't know how long the older linemen can hold out. You know what I mean? They ain't spry and bushy tailed like they use to be. It takes a toll on even the younger of the old after while.

Had a lineman and friend break his ankle on the job the other night up in Lake City district. And the Boss said the Lake City office is in worse need than they are. They have been helping them out.

When you have 40, 50, and 60 year olds on the job, that are holding it all together, that makes it tough. And I mean tough on them. And between me and y'all, they just don't make them like they are anymore. And most of the new ones expect more for nothing. And then they realize it is hard work or the work isn't for them. They aren't the same as those from 50 years ago. I realize times change, you have new safety regulations, and safety tools which are used now, but the work hasn't changed.

Anyway, I hate that it is the way it is now. But, if there isn't a future plan in motion now, we are in a lot of trouble.

Had to explain to my 88 year old mother-in-law the other day why she still didn't have electricity. They were out of power from 5pm to 12pm the next day. I told her that there weren't enough lineman to keep everyone in the county when there is a little bad weather. And the very same reason her son has worked through a day, all night to the wee hours of the morning. And back at it the next day.

When folks are out of power for 20 hours...or even less, they don't get it. The average Joe and Jane out there won't get it.

Okay, I know I am talking to the choir, so be careful out there! Be safe!
    i can't argue with anything you said Gracie, fortunately I don't have to deal with it anymore cuz I just retired in April.... But I lived it since about 2002. Your state public service commission needs to hear from the rate payers regarding service provided by the utilities. But we all know lineman don't grow on trees so it will take a looooong time to rectify the problem. Tell the boss to hang in there!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt