Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Off i go again

Default Off i go again

Featured Sponsor

Here I go again. Back to the UK for work. I've been doing fibre optic projects for the past year or so back home ( in Ireland) but never really considered it " real linework" it was climbing poles etc but not very stimulating. So I'm off on the ferry on Sunday for a weeks retraining then start a job down on the south coast. Propper linework replacing steel on towers then RE stringing. I hate having to leave home again ( at my age ) but to me it's a no brainer. More than double the money at some REAL WORK.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Blog Entries

Good luck mate!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Good luck mate!!
    Depressed on the boat to the UK. All nighter followed by refresher courses all week 😭

Sure is fun isn't it Bren, anytime we start a new job they seem to think we need to be retrained again!!

Default The older I get the faster I was.

It's worse the older you get .....being taught by people half your age ,who haven't a fraction of the experience you've got. My 36 years working ALL ASPECTS of line work obviously ain't " good enough". ( for instance .... First course is tower rescue.... I USED TO BE AN INSTRUCTOR. 😎😎......

Of course! They can teach, but the best fun is asking questions they can't answer even though you can. I hag my own bit of fun the other day with a company safety man. He came on site trying to tell me a fella couldn't wear a t-shirt on the ground , he kept saying its a rule. So dumb lineman that I am , pulled out that very rule book ( I carry them all) and open to that very rule. Low and behold it says very clearly, long sleeves need to be worn when in proximity to live conductor. I guess I shot him down , of course it turns out the company has a policy of long sleeves all the time to line up with the utility we are doing work for. But its not a rule!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Of course! They can teach, but the best fun is asking questions they can't answer even though you can. I hag my own bit of fun the other day with a company safety man. He came on site trying to tell me a fella couldn't wear a t-shirt on the ground , he kept saying its a rule. So dumb lineman that I am , pulled out that very rule book ( I carry them all) and open to that very rule. Low and behold it says very clearly, long sleeves need to be worn when in proximity to live conductor. I guess I shot him down , of course it turns out the company has a policy of long sleeves all the time to line up with the utility we are doing work for. But its not a rule!!!!
    We have to wear long sleeves when climbing or in a flash area, had to explain to the young guys they can wear short sleeves when in a bucket and everything grounded.

Default It's been......

It's been a busy week..

mon. Rigging and slinging course

tues. Manual handling. And safety on site course

wensday . National grid competency training

thursday.. Basic electrical awareness course.

Today ( Friday) tower rescue....

This is old dog didn't learn any new tricks. Mind numbing but you've got to pretend your interested .
    OH WELL. looking forward to Monday and getting on site.

Well, ya old dog. how's it going? Are you happy to be back?

Default Hmmmm

Featured Sponsorr

If I'm totally honest. Not really glad to be back.

Hard to gel with the new company, It's a long established company. And you feel very " new boy ". Outsider......