1. Cool Well, that dosent go there...

Featured Sponsor

Hey, I'm what you might call a rookie or just plain inexperienced but I'd like to see what some of you have to say about the incident I experienced a few days ago. I'm currently attending climbing school and its going great! We climb daily, perform exercises and just recently started hanging single cross-arms. Its tons of fun and until the end of the day this past Friday everything was going good. Coming down the pole getting ready to clean the yard up and head home I gaffed out and ended up dangling a few feet above the ground with my left gaff pretty far into my ankle. Didn't feel much at first and didn't realize it at first until I stepped off the pole to find out walking was very painful and there was blood coming out of my boot. Ended up meeting a few paramedics and getting a few stitches. Been board all weekend and hoping this thing will heal up quick in hopes of being able to finish the class. A bit embarrassed to go to class on Monday due to the fact that they put me on crutches. A few other guys in class have stabbed themselves, I'd imagine it wasn't too bad, they managed to make it back to the class the same day to continue climbing. Anyway, if anyone has had any experiences like this Id like to hear them, Ill attach a few photos for those interested. I also notice quite a bit of bruising on my heel, kinda curious how normal that is. Also if anyone knows generally how long something like this takes to heal it would be greatly appreciated. Good luck out there guys!

James
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Blog Entries

You're lucky, a coworker of mine severed his Achilles' tendon coming down the pole. He did that in line school, he became a heavy equipment operator then after 10 years went back to line school........
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    You're lucky, a coworker of mine severed his Achilles' tendon coming down the pole. He did that in line school, he became a heavy equipment operator then after 10 years went back to line school........
    Wow, I cant imagine that! That would defiantly put a dream on hold.

if it was any of your business you would know

Default lol

the newer the boots the higher the odds....

sorry for the pain..you aint the first or last...

Blog Entries

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 669
Size:  11.0 KB

The trainees in the line school where I worked all had to climb with a plastic shield attached to the leg irons, it prevented just that sort of gaffing injury.
    Last edited by Orgnizdlbr; 09-27-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

if it was any of your business you would know

Default lol

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 669
Size:  11.0 KB

The trainees in the line school where I worked all had to climb with a plastic shield attached to the leg irons, it prevented just that sort of gaffing injury.
    about a 100 years ago we were at the tail gate on a break... my line man thought he was rubbing his calf with his to.... 20 stitches worth in the head of his calf ....

Those guards do help while they get the hang of it though

Default Yes

Did it once in 50 years, it happens didn't even get stitches. Forgfet it and move on.
    Why did the first electrical workers feel the need to Unionize? To give you something to rail against? No. Because there was a 50% mortality rate in the business. Safety! IT IS STILL TRUE TODAY!

We had just got off the pole and, I hate to admit it but, we were horse playing.

Just kinda shoving each other around and I got stepped on. I was wearing two buckle rubber boots over my Wesco climbing boots and the gaff went right through all if it including my foot. it entered my foot right above my toes between the bones for my little toe and the next one.

I didn't feel it at all except that my foot started sliding around inside my boot. I was on light duty for a week or two.

And yes, I used to wear my two buckle rubbers while climbing to help keep my feet warm.

9. Default Happens

Featured Sponsorr

Same happened to me during storm restoration years ago,climbed pole and when got to the top I was trying to shield my face from snow and hail whilst holding pole with one hand and trying to clip rope around,thought I clipped it on to belt but actually clipped to my jacket,leaned back and hit the ground with an awful thud(jacket ripped)winded myself pretty bad but ground was so cold I had to get up pretty quick and pull myself together sharpish,like you said didn't feel it until I tried to spike pole again for round two.boot off,blood everywhere and time to sit it out😢Exact same injury,exact same place as yours but no stiches ,it's all good,to think s day I always double check before leaning back👍