Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New job

Featured Sponsor

Yep , just waiting for something else to go to.

The latest. I talked to the union rep on Wednesday morning, he said I was supposed to get a call that day to go back to work. That call never came. These kind of game is why I quit working for public utilities. There is always some jerk thinking he is superior to everybody else. Everyone at the contractors seemed to try to work together and mostly got along, until now. Of course I don't help much when I have a habit of speaking the truth, sometimes it hurts, and it is necessary. This fella has been trying to find a way to pin me since the first time I reminded him about distribution and transmission work being 2 different animals. Probably didn't help when he was itching for an argument I told him I wouldn't waste my breath arguing with him. I was suspended for a week, I will go back Monday and play the game again, until another job comes up.

Blog Entries

Good luck Rob
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks Labor!

Well I went back to work on Monday, I have yet to see the boss. The civil department grabbed me to standby with them while they do some work around submersible vaults. I got my pay stub today and all I got paid was show up time for Monday. Tomorrow I will be filing a grievance with the union.

Blog Entries

Hang in there brother. The GF will get his in due time. Just curious, what are your co-workers doing while this is going on? If you were where I'm from, the men would have made up your weeks wages out of our pockets and the GF would have a sore asshole!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

7. Default

I think I do, but I really,... probably don't understand, how shit like this goes on in union.

Good luck Rob.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Rob8210,
    You and I don't have much in common, including the line of electrical work we do. However, This I can tell you with great experience. Once you serve your first suspension, the rest come easy. St. Louis City has a 75-100 year old Civil Service System under which we work. It's similar to a late 19th & early 20th century Army-Navy military code of conduct. Translation; 95% of the time the boss gets his way. The remaining 5% is HOUSE RULES! After my 3rd suspension, I hired a prominent St. Louis/Missouri/Illinois area attorney, for $$$$ dollars,(back in 2001). He sent out 4 subpoenas which generated 3 phone calls. At that point, downtown capitulated and I got my 3 days back, for that suspension. I was upset that we didn't have the hearing. I wanted my attorney to fry those involved. However, downtown looked at my case and knew right away, to drop it like it's hot. More importantly, 95% of the problems with that supervisor ended that day. Prior to that, downtown refused to grant me an appeal, even though HOUSE RULES say you get one, no exceptions. I never did anything wrong, except not leaving St. Louis. Now that I've got 23+ years in, I'll be here even if the ship goes down (bankruptcy). I've gone from bottom pay electrician, to top pay electrician, to top pay lead electrician, down to meduim pay electrician, to top pay electrician, to top pay lead electrician... again I've been passed over for supervisor job once and foremans' job 4 times now. My day starts like this; "Chris, how does this work?" "Chris, where is this fed from?" "Chris, can you show them what to do?" "Chris, can you assist the contractors doing our work?" "Chris, will you supervise this job?" "Chris, will you just take care of it?" "Chris, do you remember what it was labeled before?" And my all time favorite; "What should I tell them?" Who is "them"? "Them" is supervisor and foremans' bosses. I've had fun with that one ;P
    Chris Hanson
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

Well fellas I have news. I just got word from the union, I will receive my pay for the weeks suspension, plus the company admitted they did the discipline all wrong.

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Well fellas I have news. I just got word from the union, I will receive my pay for the weeks suspension, plus the company admitted they did the discipline all wrong.
    Good news Rob!