1. Default Info about working for the Union...

Featured Sponsor

Hey everyone,
    This my first post on here. I was wanting some information about working for the Union. I am currently an apprentice for Edmond Electric, we are a Municipality in Oklahoma. I am in our apprenticeship program and I plan on continuing with it till I get my journeyman certificate from my State. I started at Elliot and thankfully was able to get out of there before I was hurt lol. I want to eventually move to Colorado and get on with Xcel. I would want to join the IBEW when I did that. What would go into that? How does it work? What would my state journeyman certificate do for me as far as joining the IBEW? I also have an associates degree from OSU in Power Transmission and Distribution Technologies. Oklahoma is a right to work state, we don't have much of Union here at all or I would have tried to start out in an IBEW apprentiship.

Default Not exactly an answer but..

As far as recognizing the program you are going through now, I'd contact the Business manager at the local you plan on applying to. In some states (down south mostly), the IBEW was offering credit to some of the non-union linemen. From what i remember they were not given Journeyman cards. I think they were referred to as "B" lineman. Either way, Good Luck.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    As far as recognizing the program you are going through now, I'd contact the Business manager at the local you plan on applying to. In some states (down south mostly), the IBEW was offering credit to some of the non-union linemen. From what i remember they were not given Journeyman cards. I think they were referred to as "B" lineman. Either way, Good Luck.
    Will I be able to get my yellow ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Klat5259 View Post
    Will I be able to get my yellow ticket?
    You'd have to inquire with the local.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

if it was any of your business you would know

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Klat5259 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    This my first post on here. I was wanting some information about working for the Union. I am currently an apprentice for Edmond Electric, we are a Municipality in Oklahoma. I am in our apprenticeship program and I plan on continuing with it till I get my journeyman certificate from my State. I started at Elliot and thankfully was able to get out of there before I was hurt lol. I want to eventually move to Colorado and get on with Xcel. I would want to join the IBEW when I did that. What would go into that? How does it work? What would my state journeyman certificate do for me as far as joining the IBEW? I also have an associates degree from OSU in Power Transmission and Distribution Technologies. Oklahoma is a right to work state, we don't have much of Union here at all or I would have tried to start out in an IBEW apprentiship.

Edmond is not a bad place to train at. When you get to XCEL..IBEW probably has a BA deal with them... pass the Company test.. do a probation and the Local on the property will take care of membership