Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Transformer changeout incident

Featured Sponsor

Hey Fellas! Just want to tell you guys about a recent incident involving a local contractor. The crew has been working on submersible transformer changeouts. This particular one they were changing was a 16kv/120v/240v single phase. When it was all done and turned on they discovered the had way they had used a 8kv/120v/240v can. Caused damage to 11 or 12 houses.

On one hand you could say they should have checked the plate before installing it, but that's easier to say in hindsight.

Sometimes you just don't even think of a need to do that because every single unit you were supplied before was correct.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Blog Entries

Always check the voltage before leaving the yard, energize the pot and take voltage first before putting load on it. If they did that, they'd have picked it out before damage.

Rob, what damage was done? If I'm reading right, it would have produced about 60/120.....
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

oncehadomecontractorschanuta12o24opotwith a48ooneeburnrdupeverything forsnentire block

''Twas the other way around, they got 240/480v. I still haven't heard the total amount of damages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    ''Twas the other way around, they got 240/480v. I still haven't heard the total amount of damages.
    Got it, I read it backwards.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

The safety department ruled it " foremans error" , duh!!!!

"Safety department." Or to give it a more appropriate name - "The post incident blame department."
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

The actual truth is the wrong transformer got by at least 2 journeyman and 2 apprentices. The foreman signed off all the paperwork as being correct, it in fact was all wrong. When I asked the fellas what voltage they were working on, nobody knew! Young foreman, 26 years old , knows everything! Need I say more? The good news , sort of, is I got laid off on Monday, strange day for a layoff but who cares!

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Same know it all that you and I discussed?