Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

The drivers are usually potted in silicone, but they are piling in extra circuitry so they can remotely switch the lights. This is just more stuff to go wrong.

And as with all outdoor stuff, moisture always finds a way in. Even through the tiniest pinhole with the daily thermal expansion and contraction of the air inside.

Same old story. The electronics are being designed by people with no real-life working experience in the intended application.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Default Series Loop system

Most Airport lighting for Runways and Taxiways around the world use "Series Loop" lighting. Interesting, after all these years, 6.6 Amp is the standard "high" step on most circuits. We did have some 24 Amp circuits, but did away with because it wasn't necessary. Each light is isolated by a transformer. The transformers are in series and it's a submersible wiring design. Our Airport converted to this back around 1978-79.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
    Most Airport lighting for Runways and Taxiways around the world use "Series Loop" lighting. Interesting, after all these years, 6.6 Amp is the standard "high" step on most circuits. We did have some 24 Amp circuits, but did away with because it wasn't necessary. Each light is isolated by a transformer. The transformers are in series and it's a submersible wiring design. Our Airport converted to this back around 1978-79.
    The transformers you speak of are what we called IL coils " individual lighting coils". We only used them in Highway base standards not on wood pole construction.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

I wonder what allows the transformers to bridge out when their load fails, as I'd normally expect them to pass little current on the primary side if there was no load. Unless they just get driven into core saturation.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

if it was any of your business you would know

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    I wonder what allows the transformers to bridge out when their load fails, as I'd normally expect them to pass little current on the primary side if there was no load. Unless they just get driven into core saturation.

the system we had use a constant current transformer that had a floating core. The voltage could adjust to keep the load current at 6.6 amps,,, a 'protector' was between the 'regulated output' transformer and the lamp string... if you lost enough lamps in the string that thing would turn the circuit off. It housed the control relay too...some were updated to switch off photocells.. or time clocks.

First time I ever re lamped one... we had the string on. I put on some 10K rubber gloves and started to unscrew the lamp...and got whacked on the head. You pull the lamp holder all the way out.... missed the tailboard.

Finding fault was cool.... turn the RO on....and ground this 5 kV wire .. if the string came on you knew the fault was behind you.

I guess the circuit was referenced to ground at one end then? That would make finding an open circuit quite entertaining from an arcing aspect. I guess you did it at mid point and then divided each dead section by two until you narrowed it down?

www.bigclive.com

if it was any of your business you would know

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    I guess the circuit was referenced to ground at one end then? That would make finding an open circuit quite entertaining from an arcing aspect. I guess you did it at mid point and then divided each dead section by two until you narrowed it down?

some circuits return to the RO...others ran one on a radial to a driven ground at the end.

I took more of this down than put up. We still had a few loops that were obsolete well before the 80's

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    The transformers you speak of are what we called IL coils " individual lighting coils". We only used them in Highway base standards not on wood pole construction.
    That's the set up we had here with all the parkway lighting. An IL transformer was buried at the base of every pole.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."