Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comon Guys

Featured Sponsor

yes i think it was the best of times for us Union or NON doest mstter we worked in the best of times

Thanks Labor, now you fellows have me depressed , I have almost 7 years to go to retirement. At least it’s sounding good!

Blog Entries

Rob, you're not gonna believe haw fast those last years will go by. Hang in there brother!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Lack of experience is a big issue. We have guys with 20 plus yrs and guys up to 5 yrs experience and no one in between. Had some guys move to other companies and that's why we have such a big gap. Had some contractors come in and they had a lot of problems with communications because it was a 4 man crew. They had a B class and C class lineman in the air working and the A class lineman had to stay on the ground because he was the qualified observer. It is hard to explain and train the guys when they are in the air and your on the ground. I said the A class lineman needed to be in the bucket with the guys to be able to show and train them the correct way to work. I said the 4th crew member could watch. He said that wasn't their company policy. And the kicker is the line they were working on was Dead and Grounded.
    I try to teach all the younger guys all I know and tell them to learn something new Every Day.

We have that same knowledge gap in my neck of the woods. I think it is everywhere. There are a few good young lads that are willing to listen and learn , but there are a lot that think they know it all. Sure makes it hard for an older fella to have patience with them. To make matters worse, there is some that should not be in the trade, they just don’t have the ability. An old foreman of mine put it best, “many are called ,few are chosen”

Thanks fellows I just love signin on to sigtns of recent activity

Blog Entries

Good to see you posting again here Poot! We Wud worried about ya!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Started in Jan. 62 and retired in Oct. 99. It's been awhile, but I still like to check in and see what the trade is up to. Not much going on like it used to be on here. Lots of questions were
    answered and a whole bunch of arguing, It was all good reading.18 yrs is along time, but I still remember the good times and the old linemen that trained me and the great buddies I worked with. Talking to young guys when I do get around a crew tells me I probably wouldn't like to go to work in today's world. Better pay, but benefits don't sound so hot. And a whole bunch of rules and regs I don't understand
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Default Aint that the truth

As much as I enjoy looking back on my days as a linehand I dont think I could hack it with todays rules andLALL

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Like Poot said earlier, I think I was lucky and worked in the trade when it was most likely the best time to be a lineman. Today's rules and regs really are a big stumbling bock for the people in the field. They're there to attempt to insulate the employer from liability if shit happens.

that being said, the old timers who trained me felt that their time was the best and that we were 2 blocked by rules. I still see some of the guys who trained me now and again, and I still have the utmost respect for them. If not for those men who took the time and interest to make sure I was trained and learned, I wouldn't be here today. They taught me a lot, always had my back and made sure we all went home in one piece. I tried to do the same with the young guys I had, and I've had many, I only hope I measured up to those men who trained me.