Threaded View

Default Bren guzzi X lineman

H guys. As the tital suggests I did my last overhead line job two years ago now. ( transmission tower steel changing )
    whats happenibg here in Europe. Especially the uk is that line work has become seasonal. They employ crews from April / May and lay the crews off in the fall. Around October ...... The result is you can't make a descent living from being a linesman any more .... It's a shame because I loved the job. ( over 30 years in many countries doin all types of linework )
    as ive got older I appreciate being at home more.
    Im now working steel erecting in Ireland. Money's pretty good and a lot of our work is inside major chemical companies etc. We do some heavy steel erecting outside with cranes but mainly its what we call " light steel" which can be half a ton per beam and all the cross member steel pieces etc etc. Designed to hold up big chemical pipes and such. The work continues all year round so on average I'm financially better off and are treated with a lot more respect than I did as a linesman....... Safety is of course of paramount importance. Every job is risk assed and planned to within an inch of its life . We are usually on a site with good canteen facilities washrooms and drying facilities.

I do do miss the brotherhood of linesmen and I get a little bored staying on one site for months on end. But I'm home most nights with my family and that's more important than anything.
    So although I'm an EX LINEMAN. I will still be a lineman in my soul.

I will ill check in on you guys from time to time ( as I have been doing these past few months..).

So stay safe and " BE LUCKY "

BREN...
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !