Hybrid View

1. Default CalNev Jatc Apprentice Travel Expenses

Can anyone shed light on this CalNev Jatc requiring apprentices to pay for lodging while travel in the territory?? Do contractors cover any cost not being storm work? Do they try and call out apprentices that donÂ’t have to travel as much? Does this mean this Apprenticeship is for kids with no family or responsibilities? So a guy like me with extensive electrical experience, a family, mortgage and bills has no chance in this trade with CalNev JATC??? I know my skills and work ethic would be a very valuable asset to this trade but just canÂ’t wrap my head around making 30/hr and paying $700 a week for hotels, meals, fuel, etc.. Thanks in advance and much respect to you lineman who give it all everyday for the communities.and

Default CalNev JATC

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricLife916 View Post
    Can anyone shed light on this CalNev Jatc requiring apprentices to pay for lodging while travel in the territory?? Do contractors cover any cost not being storm work? Do they try and call out apprentices that donÂ’t have to travel as much? Does this mean this Apprenticeship is for kids with no family or responsibilities? So a guy like me with extensive electrical experience, a family, mortgage and bills has no chance in this trade with CalNev JATC??? I know my skills and work ethic would be a very valuable asset to this trade but just canÂ’t wrap my head around making 30/hr and paying $700 a week for hotels, meals, fuel, etc.. Thanks in advance and much respect to you lineman who give it all everyday for the communities.and

I can't tell you what Cal Nev does but I'm sure all of the Outside Apprenticeship programs a pretty much the same. I my area, NEAT and the Local Unions do NOT pay expenses! And The Contractors are not required to pay either! For example, NY is a good size State. Local 1249's jurisdiction is all of NY except NY City and Long Island. When you get a call to tell you to report to a job, you go and don't complain! No expenses per diem etc! That is what you knew when you applied to the JATC program.

So, if you want to be a LIneman, suck it up for 3 1/2 years. Or go find another line of work. I am so sick of hearing all these Apps and wanna be Apps cry about not getting expenses and per diem!! Go to work for McDonalds, I hear they are hiring so you can stay home.

That contrasts to other countries where there's no way an apprentice would ever be expected to be out of pocket to work.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Thumbs Up!

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    That contrasts to other countries where there's no way an apprentice would ever be expected to be out of pocket to work.

You are so right Clive. I think some of these Apprentice's think they are Gods gift to Llinework and they haven't even started yet. I just don't get how these Apps think they should be paid expenses when traveling. Now when you become a Lineman in 3.5 years then you have some bargaining power but in the mean time, take your lumps, shut up and do what you are told!

5. Default 👏👏👏👏

Thanks for the reply Moe. Lol. Don’t be upset man. Don’t worry I wasn’t crying, I was asking a simple question, I make 6 figures now so I think my career is good. I’ve put plenty of years in on the grind and still going, lineman aren’t the only hard workers on this planet, only ignorance would think otherwise. I travel now for work so calm down with your shit talkin. You don’t know what traveling is if you make comments about expenses and sucking it up. Everything cost money so stop being ignorant and acting like a big shot on this thread. Just because you earned JM status as a lineman doesn’t make you a good Lineworker. So calm down.

6. Default 👏👏👏👏👏

Good one Clive! 🙄 You really make sense buddy. Not everyone is expected to have a high IQ.