Default Deskilling and cocky young workers.

Featured Sponsor

While there's no doubt that training has taken a serious dive, I wonder how much of what we perceive as young unskilled and overconfident workers is just down to us being older and wiser.

There's an effect called the Dunning Kruger effect where the less you know, the more of an expert you think you are. It explains all the young "experts" who think they are indestructible. As you get older and wiser the job becomes more complicated. Not because it has actually got more complicated, but because you know enough to look at it in a deeper way than before and see all the hurdles in advance.

Sometimes I wish I was young again. Not because I want to be youthful, but because life was easier when I was naively dumb and just ploughed into jobs without the worry about all the things that could go wrong.

On the other hand, as you get older life gets easier because you do know enough to avoid job complications or how to sort them out if they occur. You also work at the same level as the people running the show as opposed to looking up to your elders.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    While there's no doubt that training has taken a serious dive, I wonder how much of what we perceive as young unskilled and overconfident workers is just down to us being older and wiser.

There's an effect called the Dunning Kruger effect where the less you know, the more of an expert you think you are. It explains all the young "experts" who think they are indestructible. As you get older and wiser the job becomes more complicated. Not because it has actually got more complicated, but because you know enough to look at it in a deeper way than before and see all the hurdles in advance.

Sometimes I wish I was young again. Not because I want to be youthful, but because life was easier when I was naively dumb and just ploughed into jobs without the worry about all the things that could go wrong.

On the other hand, as you get older life gets easier because you do know enough to avoid job complications or how to sort them out if they occur. You also work at the same level as the people running the show as opposed to looking up to your elders.
    truer words were never spoken.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt