Default Hernias. (They're apparently really common.)

Featured Sponsor

Well I never thought I'd end up with a hernia! It turns out that it's really common.

On a plus note the surgery was easy in the sense that when they give you the anaesthetic you literally go out like a light and don't remember anything at all between going out and being woken back up again. In my case it was classed as day-surgery and I was home the same day.

The ward I was put in was ALL men having hernia ops.

Anyone else had one? And what was your recovery like?

I've had lots of warnings not to lift heavy stuff for a while even when I think it's all healed up.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Blog Entries

My friend just had one done the other day, same day surgery like you. He attended a Christmas party the same evening. Happy Boxing Day Clive!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Some can be done with very minimist keyhole surgery. Mine definitely wasn't. There's a good 5" scar along my abdomen.
    It's been an interesting experience in many ways.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

I have never had a hernia (knocking on wood) but I am dealing with sciatica right now. Not much fun. It laid me in bed for over a week , so far. They told me there is no quick cure , just rest and maybe pain killers. Sounds like a hernia might be less annoying!

Blog Entries

Been there Rob, had it on and off for over 30 years. Bed rest at first then, for me, walking once able. Weather permitting, I walk 5 miles every other day and it really helps my back.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Well Labour, I have been very surprised by how many people I have talked to that’s had sciatica, it’s way more common than I knew. Worst pain I have ever had. I forced myself to get up , then I slowly started taking a few steps. I am up and walking about a mile or so a couple of times a day with not much pain. I guess I am gonna have to treat my 57 year old body with a lot more respect. Up until now I have been still working like I am 30, still in a bucket everyday. The last job was a voltage conversion from 4kv box to 13.8kv armless.

Blog Entries

Good luck with the sciatica Rob, walking really helps me.

I think back issues at the base of the spine are pretty common for people who pay their way in society.

Several years ago I decided to stand wherever possible and rarely sit down in the house. Everything like my computer and workbench are at a good height for standing at.
    Takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it takes a lot of strain off the back caused by sitting.

www.bigclive.com

Featured Sponsorr

I think you are probably right, Clive. I recall some years ago when I worked for a utility, the safety association came around doing back fitness assessments. A certain fella was declared to have the fittest back in the utility, with good reason, he stayed as far away from work as a person could possibly do!