1. Default Need Tips To Get Into Lineman Apprenticeship

Featured Sponsor

Hello, my name is Austin. I'm 27 years old and had the lineman career on my mind for a while. I was a electrician in the navy for 5 years. I got my class A CDL, flagging, cpr and NCCER credentials for heavy equipment. I applied at NW Line JATC june of 2019 and over the year my rank went from 170 to 155. I asked the committee for advice, i was on the out of work books for 4 months and no calls. No outside electrical work in my area either. They recommended I go to Denver, CO for experience and I did. I worked 2,100 hours in IBEW local 111 doing underground work in residential areas, applied to MSLCAT and over the year my rank went from 30 to 150. I returned back home to re-interview for NW Line JATC (pending) but the problem is I never got a opportunity to work with lineman. Any time I ask, my employer says apply to the apprenticeship program and I'm not allowed to learn from them. At this point, I don't even care if its union or non union job, I just want a chance. I don't have a preference on transmission or distribution work but would like to try storm work/ emergency repair. If anyone got tips (recommended companies) to push me towards right direction I would appreciate it, thanks! (Travel is no issue but would prefer near portland, or)