Thread: covid 19

1. Default covid 19

Featured Sponsor

As per the B.A., V.P., and Ins.A. L.U. 1249 will be notifying it's members this Friday at it's monthly meeting they will have 90 days to get vaccinated or be unreferable to contractors for job calls. This should be a very entertaining Friday night. Any thoughts?

Interesting. I keep wondering how they can come up with this decision. Page 2 of the IBEW Constitution is pretty clear on the position we as union members should take. That includes the entire IBEW.

I am caught up in this right now. Called into the office last Thursday , presented with a paper to sign confirming fully vexed. I refused to sign paper. Vaxxed or not vaxxed your personal medical information is private. Here in Canada this is addressed in OSHA and the Charter of Rights. I don’t know if it’s addressed in OSHA where you are , but I am pretty sure it’s in your Bill of rights.

Long story made shorter, I am in discussions with our local about a grievance over this issue. They are reluctant, of course, but the IBEW Constitution is pretty clear.

I am adamant that this is an issue of freedom, our freedom to choose.

I am also very worried about what comes next, if we do not fight this tooth and nail.

They issued a mandate to get vaccinated or be terminated where I worked, 3 of us retired , 8 quit and several more are weighing options, a judge did step in and issue an injunction to not allow them to terminate anyone, but by that time all good faith and trust was gone, My thoughts were they can suck it, but it's a little tougher on some of the younger guys with more to loose, this thing is going to get uglier.

Hey LNF, are you one of the fellas that retired? What sucks for me is I have less than a year to qualify for full pension. At least a judge finally stepped in. Right now I am trying to get a grievance going over the issue. The utility we were working for issued the mandate and the contractor I worked for followed suite. Your right , it’s going to get real messy.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Hey LNF, are you one of the fellas that retired? What sucks for me is I have less than a year to qualify for full pension. At least a judge finally stepped in. Right now I am trying to get a grievance going over the issue. The utility we were working for issued the mandate and the contractor I worked for followed suite. Your right , it’s going to get real messy.
    Rob, I did retire, got tired of the BS, hang in there, court will tie it up more than likely for a year or more, I already had Covid, caught it last year in Louisiana on my second storm trip, survived it, doctor told me that I have as good of immunity as the shot. I am definitely not a conspiracy theorist or tin foil hat wearer, I just think that everyone should have the choice to decide for themselves, I hope it works out for you, but the do-gooders of the world are making all of us un-vaccinated people out to be selfish and ignorant so it's gonna get harder for people like us, keep sticking with what you believe in.Charlie.

Congrats to you Charlie for retiring, I am sure it’s not quite the way you wanted to go out. Thanks for the encouragement. I am not anti-vax or a conspiracy theorist either. I just don’t see this as being right. I don’t like the idea of the company forcing us into injecting something into my body. I have been trying to make the union understand that it will set a very dangerous precedent if we don’t fight it. I called about a grievance for my situation to get a ball rolling , but the only replies I get are a bunch of humming and hawing. Would you have any ideas on how to make them understand? Good Luck, Rob

Rob, I would say numbers will be the only thing that they might listen to, you need some more backing by more members to get their attention, there have been numerous vaccine mandates overturned here in Florida, so there is probably lots of information online.Hopefully you can get some support and backing. Charlie.

I hear ya, Charlie. Sadly I think the union has lost its way here, electricians rule the roost and lineman are dog****. They seem more interested in keeping the companies happy. This isn’t the first time I presented an issue and most of the time it gets ignored away. Good Luck with your retirement. Keep in touch.

Featured Sponsorr

BC Hydro Lineman here. Suspended since Nov. 23 for refusal to declare my vaccination status. Our IBEW local was happy to see us down the road until we forced them to grieve it. Still waiting on an arbitration date. The longer it takes, the better, as far as I'm concerned.