Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
  1. Default wet behind the ears

Featured Sponsor

Hey there fellas, new to the board. Great information on here!
    A quick background of myself.
    I'm 31, switching careers to be a lineman. I've done construction since I was 16(concrete and finish carpentry mostly) so not exactly the most relatable experience.
    This past 6 months I've picked up my class 'A', Osha10, flagger cert, cpr etc.
    Currently signed onto 11 out of work books as a book 4 groundman for a few months and have applications in at a few local contractors.
    I interviewed last month at NW and didn't do so hot(184, no idea how many there were) it sounded like they wanted to see more experience.
    What I'm getting at... Do the book 4's ever move? Is there anywhere that is moving?
    Line school seems like the next logical step, but I keep hearing it's a waste of money.
    Patience is a virtue?

Quote Originally Posted by Tvc28 View Post
    Hey there fellas, new to the board. Great information on here!
    A quick background of myself.
    I'm 31, switching careers to be a lineman. I've done construction since I was 16(concrete and finish carpentry mostly) so not exactly the most relatable experience.
    This past 6 months I've picked up my class 'A', Osha10, flagger cert, cpr etc.
    Currently signed onto 11 out of work books as a book 4 groundman for a few months and have applications in at a few local contractors.
    I interviewed last month at NW and didn't do so hot(184, no idea how many there were) it sounded like they wanted to see more experience.
    What I'm getting at... Do the book 4's ever move? Is there anywhere that is moving?
    Line school seems like the next logical step, but I keep hearing it's a waste of money.
    Patience is a virtue?

Yo! Any luck with anything man?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by jmaxwell9 View Post
    Gentlemen,

I have been interviewing with local utilities and applying across the country for apprentice and groundman positions for the past 2 years religiously. A little background - I have worked as a trimmer and groundman for a local tree company, I have my CDL A, OSHA 10, and climbing experience. My resume is dominated by my work experience as a Golf Professional, yes I know, completely unrelated and irrelevant, but it is what it is. I left my cushy job as a Golf Pro to become a lineman.

I interviewed with ALBAT out of local 1393 this past October (2015) and I ranked #15. I believe I am currently #11 with interviews coming up in February.

I am currently a self employed personal trainer - this is what I attended Indiana University for. I want nothing more than to go to work as an apprentice for a union company or an organization such as ALBAT; problem is I don't have work experience necessary to get my foot in the door and I can't afford to work for a non-union shop and take a pay cut as I am providing for my family (wife and 1yr old son).

Anyone know of anything I haven't thought of?

Can anyone tell me their opinion on my current rank with ALBAT at #11 - think I'll get the call?
    Hey man, any luck with anything?