Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFusion
    ..safty is important to everyone not just the bigger companies...when some one gets hurt our rates go up and the smaller companies cant afford the high rates so saftey is a huge concern, so i dont know where this guy gets off saying that contractors are unsafe ..its the easiest way to get into the trade......
    Welcome CF! Safety is important .......even to those ole nasty dag gum rat contractors. Horrible creatures that they are! Hang tough. We got a few uppity folks(Lineman snobs) here, but ain't that like on any type of line job? Or anywhere you may go?

Looking forward to more posts from you sir!

--LA

ColdFusion Guest

Default just trying to ruffle some feathers..lol

hey now them's fighting words..lol ..we actualy own one of them rat contracting companies but its all good as long as the lights stay on and no one gets hurt doing it
    Last edited by ColdFusion; 01-30-2006 at 04:06 PM.

Sharp new hooks Guest

Default Schools

I am currently one of fourteen guys in a lineman program through College (Clarion University) and The First Energy Company. I would have to say if you can do it this is one of the better ways to go. Not only do you gain experience but you will also graduate in two years with usually an associates degree and i think, as a third year apprentice. But geting into one of these progams might be difficult depending where you live. i know ther are several in Ohio, two i think, in Pennsylvania, and atleast one in New Jersy. As for not having work that can depend on where and who you end up woking with.

sharpnewhooks, hey maybe you can fill us in a little more about your training. Are you doing actual on the job training in conjunction with school work? Or are you doing everything in the classroom and also the poleyard? There's a BIG difference...like to hear more. woody

Sharp new hooks Guest

Default Class

Sorry my reply took so long my computers been in the shop.

Class runs from 7:00 to 3:30 on Monday and Tuesday and 7:00 to 11:00 on Wednesday. It's supposed to be half and half, you do the reading and see how it’s supposed to be done then we go out and do it. We actually spend more time out there though, since we are the first class through Clarion we are actually building everything, we set the poles (everyone had to dig at least one hole by hand), hung the transformers, ran the wire for the hot lines, and right now we are putting in the UG, this week we were putting in pad mounts so we can eventually energize them to test for faults. We were also practicing how to change transformer fuses, and how to make a pistol grip. As for our professors they are all retired linemen who are contracted to work as instructors. Every day we are on the poles first thing (7:00 am or light enough to see) and we don't use buckets, all our work is done strait off the pole. This summer we are supposed to be work with crews for ten weeks to get a feel for what it's like. After we graduate next year we can apply for a full time job or try to get employed somewhere else. We have been pushing to try and get some easy work from the company that we could do, but so far First Energy has not liked the idea so we just work in the yards for now.

stumpdogg Guest

Default gettin into linework

Try calling sailcatsin atlanta ga, take the test and go to work

northwnative Guest

Default Seattle City Light Apprenticeships

Hey All. New to this forum, but I'd wondered if anyone here has applied for, or is an apprentice for Seattle City Light. I just spent around 6 months in the application process only to find out I didn't get hired even though I thought I had good qualifications. Are there 'in's' that I don't know about? I guess I was lucky to get an interview, which I guess only 43 people got, but I wonder what it takes to get hired on as an apprentice by SCL. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp new hooks
    I am currently one of fourteen guys in a lineman program through College (Clarion University) and The First Energy Company. I would have to say if you can do it this is one of the better ways to go. Not only do you gain experience but you will also graduate in two years with usually an associates degree and i think, as a third year apprentice. But geting into one of these progams might be difficult depending where you live. i know ther are several in Ohio, two i think, in Pennsylvania, and atleast one in New Jersy. As for not having work that can depend on where and who you end up woking with.
    Hey Sharp, welcome to the trade. I work in Jersey for a First Energy subsidiary. They cant keep students in PSI here. I'm not sure if you call it PSI where you are or not. PSI grads come in as 2nd year apps, not 3rd. Cant work anything hot. This is not the way to go IMHO. Go to an IBEW hall with outside jurisdiction and try to get into an apprenticeship. BTW, if you have any choice of who to work for, dont go to FE. Their courting you right now, blowing smoke up your ass, but they are one of the worst Utilities in the country to work for.
    Last edited by Orgnizdlbr; 02-05-2006 at 09:53 AM.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Sharp new hooks Guest

Yeah it's PSI up here too. I've heard that FE is pretty crappy and several of us were planning to find permanent employment elsewhere once we graduate.
    Last edited by Sharp new hooks; 02-05-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Default One piece

Featured Sponsorr

of advice. If the old retired linemen havent mentioned it yet. Dont go to work with a bunch of journymen and try to impress them with what you think you know. or try to tell them how to do something.You will be shot down in flames And it will take a long while to get past this mistake. Seen it happen a time or two.

Koga