1. Default 15 KV Pole Mounted Tformer

Featured Sponsor

I’m about to build a house of 3,000 sf (air conditioned plus a small workshop) on my farm. Power company brought overhead in for me and mounted a 15 KV transformer. I was going to put a 400 amp service panel in the house and feed workshop with a 100 amp sub panel. 15 KV transformer seems light to me, but my house and workshop will be the only loads. Small electric welder in the shop. I’d like some professionals to give me your opinion. Thank you.

Mike

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by mike@knot2worry.us View Post
    I’m about to build a house of 3,000 sf (air conditioned plus a small workshop) on my farm. Power company brought overhead in for me and mounted a 15 KV transformer. I was going to put a 400 amp service panel in the house and feed workshop with a 100 amp sub panel. 15 KV transformer seems light to me, but my house and workshop will be the only loads. Small electric welder in the shop. I’d like some professionals to give me your opinion. Thank you.

Mike
    15 KVA transformer will do all you want to do, the old rule of thumb back in the old days was 5kva per house, many a 25kva overhead pot feeding 5+ houses all over this country.