Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    troubleman036 Guest

Featured Sponsor

Well we run 1 mantrouble trucks 24/7 365 on shift at all times.We never have riders unless in training.We repair everything that we can in a reasonable time by our selves execpt xfmr change outs pole xfrs ext. It is a learn as you go you can not really train someone cause no 2 calls are ever the same.But we give our crews plenty of work.Its pretty simple they say just keep fire in the wire the meters turning and the lights a burning.

Default Riverhog 14 took me 20yrs

Did 21 yrs as a lineman got trained by riding with several old school troubleshooters that could do linework standing on there heads in the rain it is a 24/7/365 proposition I work rotating swing shifts. Been doing this now for a year and don't regret it a bit. Dealing with the public can be a pain in the butt otherwise it is one of the best gigs you can get into as long as your wife goes along with the program (working Christmas 4th of July taking vacation days on Saturday and Sunday to have a weekend off) and you know what still learning new things every day just about.

3. Default

Good point zapped ive been doing it since 1981 , still learning new things , i enjoy the variety of work and the `electrical detective` side of the job keeps you thinking . In my company i tend to do switching more than linework repairs we call out lineys so they dont tend to dislike us for taking their overtime .

riverhog14 Guest

Cool 2 more years

I really cant wait to get started. All the trouble stories in the "pictures n stroies" section of the site really do get ya thinkin. Deffinately want to do trouble when I have enough experience. But who knows, maybe Ill change my mind in 10 years. Anyways parents have convinced me to do 2 years at a community college, then Im gunna apply as somethin with the local utility and then bid on a apprentice opening when it comes open. Does ANYONE allow ride-allongs while shootin trouble? Like your wife or kids, or a kid like me whos just interested?

Default OK let me put my 2cents in !

I agree with some of what ol lineman said and some of what the others say.
    As Ive stated before ,we have about 4 or 5 good T men and the others aint worth the time and effort to bitch about. Everyone knows who the good ones are and knows when ya get the call they can pretty much believe what they hear from them. The bad ones you better check and start from scratch cause all they know is pick up the mic and say " I need a line crew". Lazy ass sob's dont even get out of the truck.I dont mind going to help the good ones , but the others can....KOGA

Koga

Default T-man

Quote Originally Posted by Koga
    I agree with some of what ol lineman said and some of what the others say.
    As Ive stated before ,we have about 4 or 5 good T men and the others aint worth the time and effort to bitch about. Everyone knows who the good ones are and knows when ya get the call they can pretty much believe what they hear from them. The bad ones you better check and start from scratch cause all they know is pick up the mic and say " I need a line crew". Lazy ass sob's dont even get out of the truck.I dont mind going to help the good ones , but the others can....KOGA

Koga
    What he said but only 2 or 3 good 1's where I'm at

GLOVE IT! Guest

Default 1st to respond!

as aT-shooter we're the first on the job no matter what the weather condition or danger involved we are confident that we can evaluate the situation and make it safe for the crews to come in and perform their tasks. I like to think of us as the infrantry we make the calls with noone there to ask any questions we have thee dangerous job on the property so WE HAVE TO KNOW OUR SHIT!! N yes we do train the qualified lineman coming over because it is a whole new world working alone with noone to turn to.

LAWDOG Guest

Cool Trouble truck

as a lineman in new mexico my time on the trouble truck has been since i was a 3rd year apprentice , Ive been a j -man 6 years i worked side by side with my j-man and for me it was all on the job training , you work the terrible truck get ready for an eye opener because now you are one ! be safe

Linemo Guest

Featured Sponsorr

Here it used to be the most senior guys were the ones that would get the Serviceman {T-Man} jobs but several years back the company deciced that they wanted them to try to do it all and nobody wanted the job so the junior guys started getting them ! Now on the other hand if your a Lineman you will get plenty of experience troubleshooting in time thru storms or when you get a trouble call and get out there and find that the problem you came in for isn't what took the line out or fix the problem and find there is something else!This is just mt opinion but take your time learn the constrution end gain that knowledge then when the opportunity presents itself take it if you like shift work {or fill a shift like I did for 3 months to get a feel for shiftwork} ! Me I love being a Lineman this way I can have it all building wrecking out and trouble not to mention mutual aid restoration !!{usually T-Men do get to go} This is just my take!!