Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Working in the rain

Featured Sponsor

Just curious how most of your companies handle working in the rain. I know everywhere I have worked, when it rains you stop working but today it was a steady light rain and the working foreman told me I could either wrap it up and stop working or finish the day (it was after lunch about 12:45). The other crew with us were setting poles, I was dojng primary work, so they said they didn't care but if I left I was gonna be docked 4 hours of the 10 hour work day. How does it work in your local and what do you think about my situation today. Thanks ahead for your replies.

2. Default Working in the rain

I think you are entitled by your ibew contract to a 40hr week. When it rains we just tell the boss man we aint gonna work in it. Some sucky boys will work in the rain but thats the way it always is everywere. They want to show how dedicated they are. They cant send us home so we go to the shop and clean the truck or what ever needs to be done. Emergency all rules dont apply. This is for routine work only. Now the boss man really thinks your great if you work in the rain till you get hurt doin it! Then your a dumb ass worthy of some punishment. I think most shops leave it to the men on the crew to decide if its raining or not. Some will quit when one drop hits the windshield. Nothing worse than getting caught in a sudden down pour after you just tore everything apart. I guess its just using your head and playing it smart.

3. Default

Who do you work for? At pseg we don't do work in the rain,emrgency work only. Pole setting, driving a ground rod, removing dead wire, all considerd normal work. If the puddles are dancing we are sitting. I'm a trouble shooter, I wish my local would tell me what is emrgency and what is rutine. All say a prayer for Mark Rossman tonight I think he is going to need it. For those of you who don't know Mark was tossed out of a bucket a week ago and is still in ICU. Please buckle up ub the bucket.

42linehand Guest

By rule my union doesnt work in the rain. But if we do work in the rain we are paid at a rate of double time. If we are in the middle of lets say transferring a pole we will then make the pole/line safe and then sit it out. If it is raining in the morning then we get a 2 hr show up and if we leave the yard we get a min of 4 hrs. This applies to any work and if it is raining we are supposed to get doubletime. I work for a contractor and that is in our contract. If you choose to work in the yard that is on you at straight time unless specified but is strongly advised that you only work in it at doubletime.

We will work in the rain as after years of crap rain gear they finally got us some good gortex wet weather gear. The gear was trialled and performed very well as the last few years the sh!t we had would start leaking within 10 minutes out of the box, and to top it off the membrane would disintergrate and rebond to exposed skin, requiring a scrub to remove. The rest would all flake off and you would end up looking like a lamington.

WE only work in the rain when they (the company ) pays double the regular rate of pay . Sunday and saturday usually gets us 4 times your rate .

Squizzy what is a lamington?
    Harley

Eligible to retire at anytime – when it quits being fun I’m gone

A lamington is a piece of sponge cake which is coated in a chocolate sauce then covered in desicated (shredded/shaved) coconut. Sounds like i should go work in Queensland when its raining on a public holiday though!

Yeah. At those rates you'd actually WANT it to rain at the weekend.

I bet the Gore-tex clothing was suggested by the British lineys. It's used extensively by the utility companies here, and the heavy industrial stuff is superb. I use a pair of high waist, hi-vis Gore-tex utility trousers when I'm doing outdoor work and they are incredible. Heavy enough to protect and you just don't get clammy in them at all. not sure how it would be in scorching hot Australian sunshine though.

This is what they look like during a tea break.

Default rain

Featured Sponsorr

it aint never rained on my crew. so when a thunderstorm rolls through and your power is out you just set it out?
    LINEMAN DO IT WITH MORE POWER.