Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Union

Power24-7 Guest

Default Going Union

Featured Sponsor

I am a 1st Class (Journeyman) Lineman in North Carolina. We are a non-union workforce, but there is alot of talk about going union lately. It's not that things are that bad here, it's the little changes that keep rolling down hill that are really frustrating us. Slowly decreasing health bennifits, overtime cuts, double time cuts, and an increasing number of supervisors and less senior lineman incharge of the jobs. This is not that same place I started at 8-9 years ago. We are having a meeting next week with the IBEW and I have looked over their website as well as postings at www.Elineman.com. We are definately ready for a change, I am not sure if Union is the answer. Looking for your experiences.
    Thanks,
    Power24/7
    Last edited by Power24-7; 09-19-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Thumbs up to go or not go union!!!!

first,let me say hello to a fellow progress employee. i'm in florida,south coastal,and i feel your pain. i've been here only about 2 and 1/2 years but i can see the changes too. the biggest difference that you will see is that you will have everything in writing and the company CANNOT just up and make a new rule to cover something that comes up as it see's fit. i know that they like to try. like doing normal work after dark,sorry,can't do it. just it emergency times,such as replacing a cutout just to keep us busy during a prearrranged or such. in the contract,can't do it. stuff like that. but there is a lot of leeway as to what they can do. as for money,i guess you guys make a bit more than us to keep you from going union. we make $28.73 as a lineman and a whooping 35 cents an hour more for troubleman. insurance and everything else later. BUT,i've been in the IBEW for a great many years and hold an A ticket. wouldn't have it any other way. linemen are linemen,but the IBEW is the one place where we can all get together and work for the future and the betterment of EVERY lineman,be he union or non.good luck with your meeting and i hope to see you all vote YES on the union soon. edski104

stickstomper Guest

Go for it !! Best move we ever made at our company was when we joined the IBEW. It will level the playing field for both sides. Our motto here is the only reason you would not join the union is either you are too afraid or too stupid !
    It is nice to know what you have and that the company can not take it away with a union contract in place. Good luck to you guys. Stick

Default neither afraid nor stupid

Quote Originally Posted by stickstomper
    Go for it !! Best move we ever made at our company was when we joined the IBEW. It will level the playing field for both sides. Our motto here is the only reason you would not join the union is either you are too afraid or too stupid !
    It is nice to know what you have and that the company can not take it away with a union contract in place. Good luck to you guys. Stick
    if your working for someone you trust why would you need a contract? and if you dont trust them why would you work for them?

Well said.
    Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRat
    if your working for someone you trust why would you need a contract? and if you dont trust them why would you work for them?

Do you really think you can trust any company you work for? Surprise! They are in business to make money,, not to keep you happy. They could give a shit about you. It's only gonna get worse in this industry as long as you have business executives watching out for thier bottom line.
    I think the union can be a good thing, and it's your choice to join.. But thinking you can trust your employer?? Now that's stupid!

Bell Wrench Guest

Default We'll see where king rat stands in a year or two....

Any truth to Halpin putting in a bid to buy out JCR? You wouldn't know because your owner won't tell you. You have no say in what happens to your, I mean, your owners company. Next year King Rat will be singin' the union's great tune just like everyone else. Anyone ever notice the only people who bust on unions are people who don't belong to one,or in King Rats case, possibly, can't get into one.

Smile

"Trust everyone, but brand your cattle."
    Last edited by Trampbag; 08-17-2006 at 02:25 PM.
    Have Trampbag, Will Travel

Everyone who comes here brings a little joy.

Some when they come in. Others when they leave.

A little shack on the side of a bluff in Western NC

Power 24/7....PEC here too,and you sound like you're feeling the same frustration as we are. From what I hear,it's like that ALL over the Carolinas.If you think it's changed in 8 or 9 years....you shoulda been here 20-25 years ago! Definately a lot of interest in the union all over the Carolinas. The morale is the lowest now that it has been since the day I went to work here. As far as the supervisors go......aw hell,never mind! I'm sure you know. From what I'm hearing,the IBEW rep from Chattanooga is supposed to be back around soon.

Edski.....I know several linemen from Florida,and the pay difference thing seems to be pretty much a myth to kind of drive a wedge between the PEF and PEC linemen. Our take home pay is the same,even though we make a little more per hour.The difference is there is no state tax in FL,and there is here in the Carolinas.Compared check stubs with some FL dudes a few years ago and that's what it looked like to us. Thanks for your support
    I'm much too young to feel this damm old!

Featured Sponsorr

People seem to drift in and away from JCR on a regular basis. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they have a turnover of help. I met a guy the other day who had just left JCR for Halpin/Hawkeye. He didn't say why he left and I didn't ask. Hawkeye has tons of work on the Grid property!
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!