Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default Why is this job so demanding, but so hard to get?

Featured Sponsor

HELP!!!!!PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Ok guys, im going to try this, its my last and final shot. Let me explain my situation to ya...Im 23 years old, and for the past year to two years i have been thinking about becoming a lineman, i read and read and talked to anyone and everyone that knew the trade. Finally i was able to get the website for the union (NEAT) filled out the paper work, took that FU**** hard test, and passed (wahoo)..Now here comes my problem, becuase Im young with zero experiece (although i work for an electrction) and do not know any fat cats in the union, im just shoved on the waiting list, and forgot about. I want to be a lineman very bad, and it sucks alot that not knowing anyone makes it worse, I was thinking about going down to the SLTC in Georgia maybe hoping it would up my chances of getting called in. If anyone has any good advice or maybe could help me out, please get back to me, my personal email is Jtamasco83@yahoo.com or just email me on here...please help!!!!

Go to your local hall and sign the books as a groundman(the pay is similar to what a first year apprentice makes and the experience of being on a crew helps too). Also get a CDL probably class A with air brakes and a trailer endorsement. Til then, bide your time learning how to tie knots and read the posts in the "Linework" section of this forum because these guys are all pretty smart and you can learn a lot from reading.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

3. Default Lineman jobs

This job is not hard to get its hard to do! If you really want to learn this go to powerlineman.com site and look at the jobs board. Pick one out in your area that is a Ibew indentured apprentiship and apply if you any good at all i bet youll get on. The electrical experience you have will help if it wasent union that is ok. We dont get hired in this trade by fat cats down at the union hall get that out of your mind. Just try it youll be hired if your halfway good at this. If not someone will train you unless you wash out. The brotherhood will do all they can to help you if you really want this. I just retired and need some to keep my retirement checks comming. Ha Ha Good Luck

Lightbulb

Go to the apprenticeship website - www.njatc.org - it is a very easy site to find your way around. Go to training centers, enter the state you live in, and it will give information about all the IBEW/NECA apprenticeship programs, phone #s, locations, etc. I don't have any relatives that were in the IBEW, I got here because of my attitude, not who I knew or what I knew. The goals of the apprenticeship programs are: "Attitude, Knowledge, Skill". Remember that you bring the attitude, they will teach you the rest. You WILL be tested on those three goals! Good luck!
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Sparks, where ya from?

mrnick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks33183 View Post
    HELP!!!!!PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Ok guys, im going to try this, its my last and final shot. Let me explain my situation to ya...Im 23 years old, and for the past year to two years i have been thinking about becoming a lineman, i read and read and talked to anyone and everyone that knew the trade. Finally i was able to get the website for the union (NEAT) filled out the paper work, took that FU**** hard test, and passed (wahoo)..Now here comes my problem, becuase Im young with zero experiece (although i work for an electrction) and do not know any fat cats in the union, im just shoved on the waiting list, and forgot about. I want to be a lineman very bad, and it sucks alot that not knowing anyone makes it worse, I was thinking about going down to the SLTC in Georgia maybe hoping it would up my chances of getting called in. If anyone has any good advice or maybe could help me out, please get back to me, my personal email is Jtamasco83@yahoo.com or just email me on here...please help!!!!
    My friend Chance went there and said that he really liked it. Now he is working for a company in SC. Good luck!

7. Default

Ok thanks guys and if anyone else has any info please post or email, I dont have any experience, I dont know if thats a problem, I called the guy that interviewed me at the union hall, but he ran me for loops, i was more confused after I got off the phone, then before i called..lol...I appreiceate it alot, being a lineman means alot i hope i get in, i am just waiting for the call...The electrical exp i have already is non-union. But it is construction...so lets all hope i get in, maybe ill see ya up on the pole sometime.....

And Shaun...to answer your question, i am from New Jersey....

P.S. I wil leave my number...And please no prank calls at 3 in am. I like to sleep...lol...
    732-272-5639..And thanks again for all the input
    Last edited by Sparks33183; 12-16-2006 at 07:57 PM.

I Once Lived In Pendleton, Oregon Now I am All Over Wyoming & Utah! God I Love The Rocky Mountains!

Default Opportunities are always available….

This could stir up some union/non-union crap but have you considered getting your start with a non-union contractor? They typically are easier to get on with & they will give you some experience so you might interview better with the JATC board. Otherwise I would recommend spending the money going to a line college, where you will learn the basics of linework and be qualified to begin your apprenticeship, additionally if you attend a reputable school potential employers will come looking to hire the best & the brightest. Or study up and pay on your own to get your Class A CDL, then buy the recommend hand tools and get started on your own. Possibly with a non-union line contractor if you have to. I could be wrong but with what I have seen, seems that back east it can be more difficult to get your start as an apprentice lineman, here in the West there are lots of opportunities, both union & non. The Mountain States & Cal-Nev JATC's are always looking for quality apprentices but they might require some travel initially, to the interview and then to work, but if you really want to get started you will do what’s necessary. I feel that getting your first job can be difficult but please choose which company (non-union) you work for with care, you want to get your start with a safe company that will teach you good working habits. Please remember that ultimately you are responsible for your own safety!

Take care & good luck.
    That's Oregon Not Oregon!

Why is this job so demanding, but so hard to get?
    It's crazy isn't it? When I was hired, the first question everybody asked was, "who do you know"? "Nobody," I said. I was an electrician in the Navy for 6 years and sent out resumes to anybody and everybody when I decided to leave the service. Lot's of these guys were brought in because their dad or uncle or whoever already worked there. They never had any other job and honestly really don't have experience of how any other job union/non-union goes. Now, the company says it is re-staffing but is hiring more minorities to help bring us in touch with some of our urban customers. I have no problems with what color, religion, nationality you are from but a job like this isn't something to be PC about. You can f^uck yourself or somebody else up real easy, real quick if you have no idea what's going on. We have some new apprentices on and some are pretty good but others...OHHHH boy!! Why did they accept them? ? ? And here you are, obviously interested, (looking into options, asking questions and seeking advice) still having a hard time getting hired on. Good luck fella. I wish you the best because it seems like you are trully interested.

Default Experience

Featured Sponsorr

The NJATC usually is more interested in you having basic math skills and some common sense, along with a good attitude and work history, than they are in what your previous experience is. Line school is a definite plus, but my experience with the apprenticeship is that they really don't care much about inside construction experience - I was already a journeyman inside wireman when I got in the outside apprenticeship. I did go to a one year line school, and they granted me credit for those hours, but as far as being a narrowback, it didn't amount to much in their eyes. Although your experience as an electrician will definitely be a big help for you, as you should have a good understanding of electricity, ohm's law, circuits, transformers, etc. I'm not sure about your run-around at the union hall, but I think if you give the nearest outside construction apprenticeship office a call, they should be able to answer many of your questions, and also steer you into the proper direction for getting into the apprenticeship.
    Good luck, and remember, a positive attitude is #1 in this trade, everything else can be taught.
    Living my life and loving it!!!