Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Line clamps

fastlane Guest

Default Hot Line clamps

Featured Sponsor

Just about everyone uses them but how many Co.'s out there permit the clamp to be installed directly on the bare wire?Seems like most places want a stirrup to attach it to.The newer type(last 30 or 40 yrs. or so) has a split washer to retain commpression that makes it a very dependable connection unlike the older style without the washer.Most of us out here would like to go right to the line(copper only for now) but we need the names of some Co's to help back up our agruement.Any ideas,good or bad?Thanks.

At So Cal Edison we use them straight to wire (copper and aluminum) but only use them on Tap lines, Transformer or Fuse Holder line side leads, and pot head taps. TAP LINE ONLY!

3. Default Clamps

Over the years I have replaced many that were hard taped directly to the phase wire. I would not recomend it with out a stirrup. Most of the ones i have change were causing blinking lights but others got hot enough to burn down the primary. I just don't think its a good idea. Yes its faster yes its easier but due to the above problems we quit it years ago.

The REA property that I'm working on goes right to the wire when it is copperweld. They use stirrups on aluminum. The only thing I don't like about going right to the line is when a hot tap is put on and cranked down with a screwdriver. I think is OK to put a little more of a twist on with a screwdriver, but think about the guy that might have to (try to)get that tap off out of his hooks with a shotgun. Even more so, that 6A copperweld breaks pretty easy when cranked on enough.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

Cool On the wire

Put them right on the wire. You need to clean the wire before you place it on and use de- ox on aluminum. Used them for 22 years a my last utility and never had one go bad.

Wink hlc's

I have seen them directly on a set of rods when I worked REA.

Where I am now, We use a stirrup on all aluminum conductor and on copper up to 4/0, at which point we put 'em right on the phase.

Some places offer 3 or more sizes of hot line clamp, we use 2 here.

I have seen contractors use no loads for top side stingers, they didnt know better. (A no load in our parlance is an aluminum clamp with an incorperated # 4 copper stinger made to go on the topside of lightining arrestors.)

A stirrup tends to be thicker in the center of the bail, if you put the hlc off to the side a little, I will eventually get a trouble call and find the stirrup burnt in two.

Please, no screwdrivers! You need to install any equipment with the thought that you may have to remove it with a shotgun!

I've seen too many get loose, or corrode to the point that the eye breaks off when you try to remove them, and finding burn spots on the primary either from being put on with a load, or removed, or just bad connections to want to put them on without using a stirrup. But, since I work for contractors mostly, I have to do what the utility wants. So far, I haven't worked on any property yet where the utility doesn't want stirrups used. I've wrecked out plenty of stuff where stirrups weren't used, and that has made me a believer in stirrups. Sorry, but you won't get my vote for going directly on the conductor.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

We use stirrups on all aluminum conductors when installing hot line clamps. On copper conductors we use stirrups when the hotline clamp will be carrying a continuous load, but not if the hotline clamp is just for an arrestor station.

Default I know one!

company that puts them straight to the line on everything,al or copper, thats sce&g, it seems like the dont use sturrips for nothing! would not suggest it though. I ve broke down primary trying to get a copper hot line clamp off of number #4 before with a shotgun, have bent sturrips but never took down the wire when the clamp was on it!!!

fastlane Guest

Featured Sponsorr

I believe that some people have had problems with hot clamps to the line but I also know that some people have had almost zero problems because I'm one of them.It seems like most bad connections( clamps,squeezons,split bolts or whatever)go bad because of incorrect installation.Also alot has to do with climate, hot clamps dont work very well at all near our coast.The history of clamps everywhere else ( 1.4 million elect. meters) at my Co. has been excellent the last 30 yrs.We're not trying to cut corners but we would like to find safe ways to save backs with our ageing workforce.

PA BEN,Mike-E,LINETRASH,linemanfrog, can you provide any Co. names?
    Thanks for the names provided and all the input regardless of which side you fall on.Anyone else?