• A few times a year

16 32.65%
  • I rarely climb unless on trouble or in storms

8 16.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default For Those Linemen Over 40.....

Featured Sponsor

I've been following another thread here about working with hooks. How many of you over 40 yrs of age are still climbing? I actually asked the Boss, my husband, when was the last time he climbed. Before I give you the answer, I knew the answer would be when he did the Pole Rescue. He is also a foreman now. Just giving you guys some background information.

How many of you linemen, over 40 yrs of age are still climbing?

Almost 50, and at least twice a week, and a foreman.

We have some, under 40, that do pole top, and that is it for the year!

For me it is hard to answer. The job I presently do has no possibility of having to climb. I did, however, work for a contractor about 4 years ago where I climbed pretty much every day all day long and I stayed there for more than 6 months. It took me about 2 weeks to get to where it didn’t hurt all the time and in a month I actually started to really enjoy it. Then I went back to underground where the money is. It was interesting, though, that after 10 years of little climbing I was able to get back into shape (on distribution 40’ poles) in fairly short order and I was already past 50 then.

Could I put on the hooks again??? I would like to believe I can. Am I as flexible as I once was??? Hell no, but I could still reach out and stand flat foot on the pole 4 years ago.
    Have Trampbag, Will Travel

Everyone who comes here brings a little joy.

Some when they come in. Others when they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Almost 50, and at least twice a week, and a foreman.

We have some, under 40, that do pole top, and that is it for the year!
    Wow. That is impressive Patriot. I peeked and saw where you are from (I'm as BAD as Swamp!!!---I know!). Do you think it's from the area you are in?

Question You Guys have to TELL ME

Quote Originally Posted by Trampbag View Post
    For me it is hard to answer. The job I presently do has no possibility of having to climb. I did, however, work for a contractor about 4 years ago where I climbed pretty much every day all day long and I stayed there for more than 6 months. It took me about 2 weeks to get to where it didn’t hurt all the time and in a month I actually started to really enjoy it. Then I went back to underground where the money is. It was interesting, though, that after 10 years of little climbing I was able to get back into shape (on distribution 40’ poles) in fairly short order and I was already past 50 then.

Could I put on the hooks again??? I would like to believe I can. Am I as flexible as I once was??? Hell no, but I could still reach out and stand flat foot on the pole 4 years ago.
    This is what I mean. I guess it's where you are, where you are working, and maybe the company you are working with and if you do it enough and how good of shape you are in? Am I right? I mean....well, you guys have to TELL me! I don't know.

I just still like to climb and go up and help my crew. I don't want to do the 10 to 20 poles a day, clipping or what ever. Just bank pole, tap pole and such. If I am not on the pole, I am in the bucket almost every day. I like my job! :-)

I just still like to climb and go up and help my crew. I don't want to do the 10 to 20 poles a day, clipping or what ever. Just bank pole, tap pole and such. If I am not on the pole, I am in the bucket almost every day. I like my job! :-)
    I'm getting off topic............but what is "bank/tap" pole?

Sorry, the english language is hard enough with a lineman throwing in his lingo.

Bank pole, = transformer bank.

Tap pole= tap line off a main line and such, single, v, or three phase. Some times they can be time consuming.

I don't nessecerily climb two a day but average that easily.

Default Thank you Patriot

Sorry, the english language is hard enough with a lineman throwing in his lingo.

Bank pole, = transformer bank.

Tap pole= tap line off a main line and such, single, v, or three phase. Some times they can be time consuming.

I don't nessecerily climb two a day but average that easily.
    Aaaah....I see (sorta). I honestly don't think, since the Boss has more utility/co-op work, that they do that everyday. I do know this, the Boss lives his work. I've posted this before, that the Boss only says he is an "average" lineman. I don't think he considers himself a "knock'em down...dag'em out" top notch lineman, but yet...many ask his opinion. Does that make sense?

Talking Aaaaaah.....here is the Swamp..........RAT...

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Well, I won't answer your Poll LA. Really can't, honestly. Been sorta retired for the second time, bout 2 years.
    I understand Swamp and I'd of been disappointed if you hadn't posted. SERIOUSLY.

The Corp boys don't want to do that back yard ratty shit. That's why the Corps and Big Utilities hire Contractors. Seriously.
    Aside from the fact that they've cut their manpower so low, that they HAVE to hire Contractors.

It's all bout money....
    LMAO!!! And here the Boss sits on the other side of the line Swamp! He use to bid to those corps when he was a contracting rat......to now watching them work while he and his small crew do the ..........ummm........other stuff.

Irony? Ummmm.................