Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

I think you two guys are onto something realy important here. I also like the poster very much. If anything that photo should set some minds to really think about this subject. Very good job! But getting a large company to spend $700. per truck is going to take time.
    It's like a bad 4-way intersection. Cars almost hit each other every day. One day there's a bad wreck and someone is killed. NOW they put up some stop signs!
    Good luck guys!
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    For some of you who missed this article the last time I posted it, here it is again. There are many types of these machines. I sure hope the concept Kicks in with the Line Trade. You're right Lood....It will take alot of talking and promoting to get companys to "Come on Board" with this.

But there's no time like the present to start.

How about bringing the subject up at your next Safety Meeting with your company, or at Union meetings? Another reason I posted the poster as a Link, is so it can be downloaded and maintain the resolution for printing. Print a few up, and leave them around your showup, or better yet, in the offices of your Company or Utility.
    Start the Talk!!

Here's the Link:
    http://www.berkeley.edu/news/berkele...28_defib.shtml

Hay LA. How about givin this a "Stickey" for a week or so.....?
    Sure buddy!

I agree on the poster and the idea/concept on how you guys are displaying it. Great job.

I've been trained on those and I'm left with it when the nurse is not there. I've also had to use CPR/first aid. I also didn't realize how often you have to replace the batteries. That's another thing that some with the defribrillator might not think to check on. It's a must, about like your gloves, I'm sure.

It's something you hope you don't have to use, but it's good to know that it's there.

Thumbs up AEDs

Haven't been around for awhile but I'll tell you about Local 1249s. 1249 is located in Syracuse, NY. In our contract the Contractor pays 2.5 % to 3.5% of their gross to New York State Linemans Safety Training Fund (nothing to do with New York State). It is run by a board of Trustees, 2 from the Local Union and 2 from the NECA Contractors.

Last year they approved the use of AEDs. Before they were handed out, all the members (Linemen, Operators, Truck drivers, Cable splicers, Traffic signal techs, Groundmen and Flagmen) were given CPR, First Aid, OHSA 10 hr., pole top rescue, bucket rescue and AED training.

So far our Local has given out 100 AEDs. The first 50 were about $1200.00. The next 50 were about $1000.00. As we get more work, we'll buy more. The Trustee's, The Local, the members, AND the Contractors feel it's a small investment to be ready to save a human life. The cost of having AEDs on every crew is NOT an issue! Saving your pole buddy or another life is.

Hopefully no member of IBEW Local 1249 will have to use one or worse yet, having to have one used on him/her.

Great thread. Moe

BTW, Top Groove, you say you talk to the guys w/ Hawkeye? Ask them if they have them. Maybe not on all the trucks yet but they will be in a short time.
    Last edited by Moe; 08-09-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: pole top

Default Swamp

Thanks, We are trying to take a lead in the industry. The main thing is the Contractors want them and so do the men. Also, we're a construction Local. The Utilities we work for as well as private companies and developers (windmill farms) are passing the word that we take pride in safety. Moe

after 3 years of trying we finnally got $10,000 set aside in next years budget for AED's. What I would like to know is what brand are you using and what was the cost. The one's I have looked at ran around $2500 each. Here's a site I found:

http://www.aed.com/
    Harley

Eligible to retire at anytime – when it quits being fun I’m gone

Default The photo

Swamp that photo was one of the "Times" best photo's. Saw it in a book a few years ago. I used to use it in my safety presentations along with blown off peckers and other electrical burns.

RWD

butterbean Guest

you guys rule!!

bless you for really making this happen.

bean

Post Info on AED

Our company purchased three AED's last year, one for each line crew. This year I plan to budget for three more for apparatus and the serviceman. These guys work alone alot which is why we didn't get AED's last year for them BUT sometimes they do work with others. We are using the AED's from ZOLL Medical, the AED Plus package in a truck and outdoor rated package called a Pelican case.
    Our price last year: AED Plus $1,495.00 each
    Pelican Case 165.00 each

The reason for the special case is the manufacturer recommended it for any AED that rides in an unpadded tool bin on a truck. By the way the AED Plus included lithium batteries with a ten year shelf life. Although they recommend replacing the batteries after the device is used for real. We did purchase a cheaper, less rugged, Philips AED for the office as well. The Philips model we got is NOT rated for a truck.

This is a really great thread!

When our company held the most recent First Aid/CPR training and certification, there was a section on AEDs. But the company still does not purchase them for the trucks and neither does the hall.

I am planning on asking my GF "WTF?"

Thanks Clive, Swamp and everyone else for the info.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

Default nice !!!!!

Featured Sponsorr

Nice job guys..

Swamp, you just need to be less subtle, You make your point with that picture for sure. Nice Job

I have heard a little more talk on this lately, we may all be singing as one on this. Cool deal