Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Lightbulb San Deigo Gas & Electric

Featured Sponsor

Hey Lineman Brothers...Just wondering if any of you on the site ever worked or do work for San Deigo Gas & Electric? They have been recruiting lineman for some time offering big sign on bonuses and a larger relocation bonus.
    Typically when companys offer these large sums usally a damn good reason why. So if any one out there has some info i would like to hear what kind of company they are to work for. I go out next week for a job interveiw and to take their test and see what exactly they offer. Any info would be a help.
    Last edited by i be tramping now; 08-11-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: misspelled

Cool Not me

Who wants to work in a very large City in California?

No expeience here but I'm sure interested in what you find out. Good luck at the interview. I'd appreciate it if you came back with some info for us. I'm lookin into that job as well.

San Diego County is VERY expensive to purchase property. SDG&E seems to be long on promised and short on delivery. If you want to live in the best climate in the world SDG&E is the place for you.
    Have Trampbag, Will Travel

Everyone who comes here brings a little joy.

Some when they come in. Others when they leave.

Default Sdg&e

I have a couple buddy working for them right now they say they like it,they work on the transmission side its a slow pace but If you can get used to that and it is very expensive to live there

hey west coast. do you know how much overtime they get in SDG&E? Does it balance out with the cost of living? What do lineman there average a year? Also do you know if they offer medical at retirement? Most companies are trying to get rid of this. Thank bro

Work safe and watch eachothers behind

7. Thumbs up

Just got back from interveiwing with SDGE. Went well,took a climbing test,a couple 3 phase bank test,took a climbing hotstick test then finished with a question and answer test. After passing all test,i was recommended for hire and sent to main office building for a meeting with staff to dicuss money and benifits. In a nutshell........pay is 40.80 hr,all overtime is double time,work appx 500-1000 ot a yr,probation is 6 months,vacation is 1 week 1 yr,2 wks 3 yrs,3 wks5 yrs i think,,,,,sick leave,15k sign on bonus, they pay all moving expenses,medical after 30 days of employment, umm thats about all that comes to mind. I talked to several lineman out there,all seem to like the company,all had positve things to say. SDGE is a big utility on west coast and im sure they have their stupid policies like everywhere else,but i know for a fact they will be a damn bit better to work for than say someone like AMEREN! So if anyone has any more questions,let me hear em and ill try to answer.

do you get medical when you retire. It sound real good.

billfoster67 Guest

Default I thought it was a shammy interview.

This was 8 years ago. The one man didn't like me. He was from Toledo. And I was from 71, 1245 hates 71. Told them I was green, just topped out. And they made me feel so small. They asked if I have ever done a lead splice- the Toledo guy. I said no. Then they took me to the back, and they gave me three coffee cans, and four wires vertical, and told me to the 120/240/208 bank and hooked it up to the service. I had these alligator clips, I hooked up the bank right, but I didn't know how to put it on the open wire, since I always used triplex. That year, they hired three out of 170. Then on the back door they told me to work for PAR and they'll hire me from there.

Now I am way too experienced I worked for Edison. Loved it and hated it. You have to know what your retirement is. You can have a first step apprentice and once he tops, he will always have seniority over you, because he was a meter reader for ten years. You planted more wood than he has in a lifetime, but he has first crack at foreman. My retirement in construction is a lot better than the utilities. You always think grass is greener on the other side. But you got to checkit out and see if you like it. If you don't finish your obligation with the bonus and leave. There are some great utility guys. Troubleman are the cream of the crop. The variables are what your yard is like, the men in your yard. And they'll send you to a high turnover, high rent area because you are at the bottom of the barrel when you start. God bless you and good luck.

Featured Sponsorr

OK just got a fed ex envelope with a bunch of information for SDGE. I'm starting the hiring process today. I would like to get more information on SDGE. Also I've never been to San Diego so i'm a little nervous. If there are any lineman that have lived or work in this area I'd like to hear a little more about this company. What does a lineman average out in San Diego with OT. I"m only concerned because of the cost of living out there. thanks