Thread: steel toe boots

brock landers Guest

Default steel toe boots

Featured Sponsor

For all you utility guys---How many of you are required, by your company, to wear steel toe boots, whether your climbin or whatever?

Default Safety Toe Boots

The 2 Coop I Worked For We Had To Wear Safety Toe Boots.i Think It Is A Good Idea. Even If I Have To Buy A Lot Of Socks And Keep My Toe Nail Cut Often.i Order My 1 St Pair Of Composite Toe Safety Boots The Other Day. Haven'y Got Them Yet.

Default Steel Toe Boots

We are required to wear steel toe boots here. We have a reimbursment of around 75.00 per year. It helps, but doesn't go very far when puchasing good quality boots that usually run over 200.00. Fortunately I do not have a problem wearing steel toes as some people do.
    Mark
    "Who Me ?"

Compulsary for steel caps has been for many years its an essential part of PPE and will earn you a two suspension if you don't wear them...

brock landers Guest

Are steel toes mandated by OSHA 8 hours a day, or is that just your company's policy? Doesn't OSHA say that steel toes are required when there is a "danger of rolling objects, there is a possibilty of objects piercing the sole or when required by a hazard assesment"?
    If anyone can tell me that OSHA does require them to be worn 8 hrs. a day please tell me what section it's in. If it is not required by OSHA , but required by the company, then isn't it on them to "provide required PPE" per 1910.132? The reason for all this is our company decided to implement this policy a year ago, along with alot of other b.s. policies. If I'm way off here tell me I'm f*&^ed up. Thanks fellas.

Post Safety toes

Most places I have worked it is company policy to wear steel toed safety boots even where there is no OSHA, such as the Middle East. As a matter of fact it is not a requirement of OHSA to wear a hard hat where there is no hazard of head injury, for example in an office or warehouse, however it is usually company policy to have workers who work in areas where PPC is required as well as areas where it isn’t to wear hard hats while at work. Simply put if the company policy was not in place to wear the PPE always no one would wear them when required.

Same with safety or steel toes shoes. There are many instances, such as rolling a pole or lowering riggers, where a crushing hazard exists as well as circumstances where heavy articles can fall onto a foot in the job and so they are a requirement by many companies.

I have worn safety toed boots for more than 30 years. I don’t find them any more uncomfortable than the non-safety toes I use when hunting. Under these circumstances I can’t think of any reason I wouldn’t wear them on the job, required or not. I have worked in temperatures ranging from -50 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit all wearing steel toed boots.
    Last edited by Trampbag; 08-26-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    Have Trampbag, Will Travel

Everyone who comes here brings a little joy.

Some when they come in. Others when they leave.

Default steel toes

here in Ohio,we are required to wear safety toes and have been for at least 30 yrs. Get yourself a good pair of boots with composite toes and you'll find your feet will stay warmer in the winter.

Default Who pays for

Safety toed boots currently fall into a category of PPE that can be used off the job as well as on. Prescription safety glasses are another example. Because of their "personal use" nature, OSHA currently leaves the question of who pays for these types of items up to negotiation between employer and employee. Employers are required to pay for other types of PPE such as hard hats, respirators and fall arrest equipment as these items are not considered personal use items. This may change when OSHA ever gets around to releasing their revised PPE rules.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

9. Default

Featured Sponsorr

My company pays the whole nine yards. New steel toe boots one a year to a value of $180, prescription safety glasses, safety glasses, gloves, hard hats, ear muffs, fall arrest equipment,fire resistant coveralls and winter clothes, high vis vest etc etc.

In Canada you do not get on most industrial or construction sites unless you are wearing CSA approved steel toe/steel plate boots. I have been wearing them since 1981 and do not notice they are on my feet if they are properly fitted.

Everything I have on in this pic was provided.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by a78jumper; 08-28-2007 at 10:36 AM.