Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Working 24 hrs

Default Working 24 hrs

Featured Sponsor

Can anyone tell me how many hours you can work with a cdl license in Ohio?
    AEP in Ohio say they can work 24hrs. and they are doing it. Thanks Kap.

Default Depends

I believe the Federal Motor Carrier Laws state you can only drive 10 hours straight without a break and/or only drive for X amount of time within a 72 hour period. I apologize that I cannot remember the hours of service within the 72 hour period off the top of my head.

I'm not sure if Ohio has any exemptions for emergency workers such as firemen and Utility workers.

Where it may get tricky with interpretation is that it is really the driving time that is governed. If you are working on a pole, you are not driving a CDL vehicle and that time should not be counted.

They are really using a drivers actual driving time when they write these laws. It was never really designed for us Utility workers. We got caught up in it as a technicality because we drive vehicles that require a CDL license and therefore must abide by the laws that govern other CDL drivers.

Default Working hours

In california we work 32 on 8 off on storm work, you have to pace yourself, not sure what the law is on the cdl but I sure do like those check???

Default They can work you

as long as they want, you just cant drive after 15 hrs with out 8 off. Unless its changed since the last time we discussed this. Unless its a declared state of emergency then the 15 is moot.
    Koga

Default Naturally its changed

and probably will again another 3 times in the comming year or two. So if you can decipher all this http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...9CFR395.1(e)(2) then have at it. Its plain as day here in sub sec 395.1 (e)(2) paragraph n I believe.

Koga

I believe it is tha same for cdl carriers,,,,but the company declairs an emergancy and you can work what you,want,,,,,,be carefull pace yourself ,,,,,,,scammy

Default No the

state of emergency actually has to be declared by a government agency and documentation as such is to be provided for the company and carried on the trucks. We had em after Katrina and Rita. But that was the only time I have ever seen the paper work. But like I said that has changed,trying to wade through all the crap in the above rules , I believe we (utility workers) are exempt under federal law. And you need to check your state laws for clarification on what applies to your area. Some body at your state police could probably clear it up for ya.

Koga

From what I know working is same as driving, you cant work 8 hrs, drive for 2 and only 2 count towards your log. I thought the cutoff was 10, but then again reading some of the carrier laws are confusing.

Check with the local utility, a few companies are (Brainfart for the right word) idemnified from this. FP&L went to the DOT and petitioned to not be held to this requirement. Any contractor on their property was in the same boat.

BUT, as scam said, when they declare an emergency they throw that out quickly.

the driving limit is waived during a declared emergency...and if there wasn't one the rules only pertain to driving not hiking poles
    Been to hell but the DEVIL said i was a crazy Motherfu&$er

Featured Sponsorr

the bottom line is that the company loves the guys who work 20 or 30 hrs ,,it keeps them from having to hire more lineman ,no one should work past 16,and on over time we work cheaper because benifites are not equated ,in the cost,,but as long as the greed persist,,,,we have what we have,,,scammy