Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wet Hotsticks

Featured Sponsor

Never in the rain unless you are doing something like closing drop outs or HV isolaters from the ground with several sticks joined up, also we don't use gloves when using sticks, when contamination starts to build up or the stick starts to fail you get a tingling feeling which is about 1 second from when you should drop your stick.

Post Testing of sticks

I cannot speak for all companies but we test all of our sticks dry, then we pull out a spray bottle and spray the stick with mist from end to end and test them again. All sticks have to pass both tests once a year. Assuming the sticks have been taken care of and cleaned and waxed regulary we rarely have a stick fail a dry test. We have had several sticks that have failed the wet test over the years and have had to be chemically cleaned and re-finished. Most of the time we can tell when they will fail a wet test before we every put voltage to them because the water stops "beading" on the stick. If the water beads they pass, if water doesn't bead they will usually fail.

Miami Bear Guest

Interesting. Our sticks are tested every two years.

4. Default

our sticks get tested every six months, and we still are supposed to wear rubber gloves when using them. go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianLineman View Post
    I was always been led to believe that the Scots had a caustic sarcastic wit. So much for that legend.
    I was getting there.... So do you or have you ever had a stun gun?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

I did have a "lights in tree" picture specially for you CL, but it was actually a bit close to the bone even for this forum.

I guess you don't have a stun gun then? I was going to make a technical point.

I'll also guess that you are little over 5' in height. (if that)
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Aussieoperator/troubleguy Guest

We had a meeting with some rep from Chance a few years ago , I asked him what the rating of a extendable linkstick was when wet with rain , he couldnt answer me directly and basically i took it that the sticks are not guarenteed for wet use .
    I then chased it up with our high voltage test section and they dont carry out any "wet testing" of link sticks and hot work tools .
    We are still expected to use the sticks in the rain and though in 30 years i have only once felt a slight tingle using lots of different operating sticks in the rain .
    I would like to get something in writing from Hastings or Chance on this issue but i wont hold my breath.

Default wet stickin'

Featured Sponsorr

not sure what to say other than I think using rubber gloves with hot sticks in ANY type of weather is completely fuggin nuts... I worked EHV , HV, and sub transmission for years mostly doing stick work in many kinds of weather on every voltage from 19.9 up to 765... single, bundle, tri and quad.... NEVER and I mean NEVER! wore anything other than maybe a pair of leathers.... easy to tell if the stick is breaking down you can fell the "hummmm" but most of the time you see the end of the stick haloing long before that.... send it down wipe it test it send it back up....

all that being said the utility I work for now (strictly distribution) you wear you gloves for everything save a pogo/extendo/telo pole...
    and while I think its completely insane it's their rules and my job....

so an old lineman once said " if you don't think it's Safe.... don't fuggin' do it!"

Edge

"you gonna ground it?"

"f_{4 NO!!! send me up those tire chains... these a GD fuse somewhere!!!"
    Last edited by Edge; 06-12-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: can't spell for shit