Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Digger

Smile

Featured Sponsor

JAKE, the new Texoma's are nice - sounds like you have a 270. The 330's are the better ones if you can afford to get one. Buying a used one is more affordable than new.

theweber, yeah you still have to screw in an anchor depending on the job you're doing and the company you work for. ha
    Are you done yet?

Quote Originally Posted by theweber View Post
    This is my pressure digger i use but the boom is shorter then the picture. I can set a 55 ft pole with it.

http://altec.com/ealtec/SilverStream...MODEL=HD35A-10

but we call it a rock hole truck
    I had never heard of one of these before.
    I noticed you said you can set a 55' pole with it, is that the biggest pole you can set?
    Does this machine also dig the pole holes?
    Can you set transformers with it?
    For us because of all the U.G. quite often we can only set the pole.
    When we do get to dig & install a pole & PISA anchor we do it all in one setup.
    It looks like the truck has some limitations that a normal RBD does not, if its main advantage is just installing anchors, seems like a lot of money tied up for a specialized truck.
    Last edited by lewy; 12-04-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I had never heard of one of these before.
    I noticed you said you can set a 55' pole with it, is that the biggest pole you can set?
    Does this machine also dig the pole holes?
    Can you set transformers with it?
    For us because of all the U.G. quite often we can only set the pole.
    When we do get to dig & install a PISA anchor we do it all in one setup.
    It looks like the truck has some limitations that a normal RBD does not, if its main advantage is just installing anchors, seems like a lot of money tied up for a specialized truck.

Lewy, what ever the boom height is and the picking point of the pole (just above balance).I have set a 70 with one. They usually have a steel winch ( I have never used one with a Sampson winch) and the boom and stingers are all steel. I wouldn't consider using one to hang a pot. It digs a straight hole and does it five times faster then your dangling auger. Have you ever tried to use a 36" auger on a dangling boom truck? Now the big ones are computerized and will give you the hole depth.

CAT 325 crawler, Cummins diesel,
    73,000ft/lbs touque, 28,000lbs crowd,
    12,000lbs service winch, 53' mast height
    Last edited by Highplains Drifter; 12-04-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Thats some heavy duty stuff.
    We have 24" augers which for us has always been plenty, vary rare for us to put in anything bigger than an 80' & even an 80' is rare.
    I would be guessing that these things are more suited for transmission work, as like I said earlier seems like a lot of money for a very specialized truck.

Default Texoma diggers.

Worked for a small rat contractor that only had this type of digger. We did mostly distribution work but it was capable of setting at least a 60 footer or so. You could hang a pot with it but had to set up carefully.

Later worked at a transmission maintenance outfit that used one. You could set about an 80 or so I think. Had a squirt boom and claws. Like someone said it would dig a hole most truck mounted diggers wouldn't hack. I think that's why contractors used them so much.

Once while near Sherman/Denison area we went by the factory and looked around. This was in 73 or 74. I remember they were making some special for the North Slope. Talk about big. Don't know what they were gonna use them for on the Slope.

Saw an old boy turn one over once when he picked up a reel of wire on the side of it. It just had small round outriggers that wouldn't take a side load. Didn't hardly hurt the digger. Think it broke off the exhaust pipe on the digger engine. Nothing else hurt.

My truck has a 24' boom and it extends up 10 more feet. We use it for distribution line work .I keep a 18" ,20" and 24" auger in it. we have 24",30",36",42"48" and a 60" at the shop. I can dig 15' deep hole. It is a sweet ride.

Quote Originally Posted by theweber View Post
    My truck has a 24' boom and it extends up 10 more feet. We use it for distribution line work .I keep a 18" ,20" and 24" auger in it. we have 24",30",36",42"48" and a 60" at the shop. I can dig 15' deep hole. It is a sweet ride.
    I am curious why you would need such big augers for distribution? We have set some big poles as well & a 24" has served us fine. For the few times that a 24" might not have been big enough, it been a long time since we set a 100' pole, it would be cheaper for us to contract the hole out.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I am curious why you would need such big augers for distribution? We have set some big poles as well & a 24" has served us fine. For the few times that a 24" might not have been big enough, it been a long time since we set a 100' pole, it would be cheaper for us to contract the hole out.

Could be differences in soils...

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    Could be differences in soils...
    Only time we ever used em was when it was rock and we couldn't 'shoot' the hole........or a regular digger just couldn't hack it!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Trbl639 View Post
    Only time we ever used em was when it was rock and we couldn't 'shoot' the hole........or a regular digger just couldn't hack it!
    When ever we need a hole in rock we hire a contractor similar to these guys & this is how they do it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDlq7U1O3A8