Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default buck squeeze fall restraint

Featured Sponsor

Are you guys getting this buck squeeze shoved down your throats. Our companies fixing to make this mandatory for all lineman. Boys I am a journeyman lineman, not a hydrolic lineman they can keep that crap!!!!!!!!!!!
    cowboy33

Default fall restraint

Your company and and the one i work for are just getting a head start on the new OSHA fall restraint order that is coming down from on high in a few months. No free climbing will be the rule soon . I will be able to choose between the Buck squeeze or Pole choker . For getting around bell drops we will be using a new rope safety for repositioning then go back to the buck or choker . From the ground to the first obstacle it has to be in the fall restraint mode but we can use it a regular safety as long as there is a obstacle within 6 to 8 feet under our climbers to stop us. Free climbing will be the next story to tell the new kids of how i was done in the old days. You can mark my words that we will be hearing about someone being fired in the next year for not using it

We are pretty staunch on not wanting to use it. Some say its coming from osha and some say thats a lie and management is pushing it, its hard to fight osha. I was just wondering what the word was for the rest of the country. Is there actual lineman that like this proposal, I would like to hear the benefits. If it was a clean pole thats one thing, but man our easments are full of stuff and we have many easments and take pride in climbing and working out of hooks. We recently had an ice storm w/ 200,000 outages they called in as many non-union contractors as possible and you wouldnt believe the crews that wouldnt climb.
    cowboy33

Cowboy,my company uses the bucksqueeze and I agree that it is a pain but after it gets broke in and a lot of use you can almost use it to get around as well as before it

Default Cowboy

check out my posts, and thanks for stepping up to be steward.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by theweber View Post
    Your company and and the one i work for are just getting a head start on the new OSHA fall restraint order that is coming down from on high in a few months. No free climbing will be the rule soon . I will be able to choose between the Buck squeeze or Pole choker . For getting around bell drops we will be using a new rope safety for repositioning then go back to the buck or choker . From the ground to the first obstacle it has to be in the fall restraint mode but we can use it a regular safety as long as there is a obstacle within 6 to 8 feet under our climbers to stop us. Free climbing will be the next story to tell the new kids of how i was done in the old days. You can mark my words that we will be hearing about someone being fired in the next year for not using it
    I have been with the linemen using different generations of fall restricting equipment for at least 20 years. The first products needed lots of improvements and now they have it down pat.
    Of course some will never agree.
    One thing I would like you to reconsider.
    You mentioned a second safety strap for use when passing over obstacles. If you mean another pole strap that is too much stuff hanging from your belt to get tangled up.
    Go on the web and look at the Jelco retractable strap for that purpose. When not being utilized it retracts back into a neat case about the size of your fist.
    Most linemen place it on the left side just behind the left DEE. Make sure to encompass the belt and not a tool loop.
    Good luck.
    The Old Lineman

Where can I find a picture of this device? I am sure if rumors are circulating to become mandatory by OSHA, then it probably will!

just look on the buckinham web site

Some of the manufacturers are miller, bucksqueeze, and jelco. There is a little more to it then a second safety strap. If you guys have been using it and its fine then maybe my bunch needs to have an open mind about it.
    cowboy33

Featured Sponsorr

linehand 13, Do we work for the same co. Right now all thats required to wear it is our 1st yrs, like linehands group when they make 2nd they qualify out of it. It takes our 1st yrs 30 min. to climb a pole, granted some dont know the differance, but the 1st yrs that came from somewhere else hate it and I mean hate it. Watching them climb with it looks like a bunch of junk. Thanks for refering me to your posts.
    cowboy33