Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ground sizes

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mainline View Post
    It burned three out of the eight tires flat. It also burned a tire on the digger truck we had hauled the trailer with.

Did you not have the trailer tired off at the tie down points with bull ropes or slings?? Thats a big no no for me. We don't leave pullers and tensioners or wire trailers hooked up to trucks. They are tied off to them but not hooked up. Mainly for that reason.. Burning up a trailer is bad enough but burn up a truck and your kickin rocks and counting insulators back to the shop..

Default Ground sizes

At my company we use 2/0 C.U. for distribution and 4/0 C.U. for x-mission.
    Two 2/0 grounds can be used in place of one 4/0 provided they are the same length.

we leave the trailer hooked up to the rig here but we have the sub in hotline tag when were reconductoring and one tiny bump and whoops the sub is open!! some times hlt is a bit too sensitive i was up changin an arm and all the sudden dispatch is callin for me see if im ok, dang tree touched the line somewhere and opened it but it was just fine in normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    THAT's Cool Jake!
    Yup, that's the one....with the groundrod comin out of the ground!

I really don't think many Utilities actually use it though. The KEY I believe to EPG is....really settin that groundrod, the correct depth and distance. AND setting up EPG takes time....

One hell of a video training film though. Anybody find it posted anywhere? I looked all over Google, and couldn't find any reference to it.

So....Anybody else, ACTUALLY USE Equi Potential Grounding?
    we have the tape at the shop i can see if i can get it loaded to the net

i like the ep groundin i only gotta put one set up, quicker than bracket grounding the only thing is ya cant get them off from the ground

Default Swamp

Where I'm at they have gone to EPG and it was a big fight in the begining. The guys are getting used to using that method of grounding. You kind of have to go job by job to set up your grounding. When they had the training when they wanted us to start using EPG they didn't cover every senario. We just got done helping another grew change out 69 wishbone on an uprate job and put up 1 set of grnds to a driven grnd and then EPG at the pole we were working on.
    So here is COMPANY policy, 2/0 for dist.,4/0 for trans EPG when possible and on trans with system neut. and just a static then a driven grnd. And the grnds should not be any longer then needed.

6. Default

I agree with jake and mainline , we also use #2 Copper grounds!

I use them very honestly, but in my opinon grounds are hung to verify the line is dead, not to save you , you will most likely get killed if holding on to a grounded line that gets accidently energized!

with us....4/0 inside the sta fence, and on Transmission......

on distribution 2/0 from outside the station until conductor size drops to 1/0, then we can use #2 grounds on 1/0 and smaller........

230kv Guest

before 14 years our personal ground 2/0 from 69 kv to 230 kv until one day… my foreman sent me to assist U/G unit by bucket truck to install personal ground for them on some of 69 kv line tower,
    By some big mistake dispatcher energized the line while we are working??? Suddenly Big explosion I heard???
    We was very lucky, our grounding completely damaged and burn , no any injury, just some of our clothes burn…but after that our engineering decide to use ground 4/0 which is very heavy

Smile Grounds

Featured Sponsorr

Fault current is what determines the size of grounds to use. I've grounded 345kv where the utility has told us to use 2 4/0 grounds on the masters to the bracket. From the bracket to the grid system use 2 4/0 grounds. length does matter. A job we are working now, reconductering a 115kv line our safety man in his safety plan obtained the ground fault current for the particular lines we are working. We are at 110. What he also said in the plan that if the ground fault current exceeded 125, we were to use two 2/0 grounds instead of a 4/0 ground as the two 2/0 will handle 136. It distributes the heat more easily and faster. As for personal ground we could use 2/0 as long as we were between masters. As the JL title stands for JUST LEARNING, this is the first time a safety man has explained in writing a plan the reason for doing things. This guy used to work for National Grid Transmission and has never given us bad info, one of the few that will come on a job site to correct and teach instead of writting things up.