Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Certifications

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Exclamation Certifications

Featured Sponsor

Alright guys bear with me. I came up in this trade a scab and seen the light.

I've worked as a journeyman lineman for several years now for 2 diffrent companies. Pike Electric and Team Fishel. Now I'm trying to move on to a better job and everyone requires BAT certification, Department of Labor Certification or a Journeymans card. None of which I have. Now my question is if and how any of you went about getting your certification?

Dont give me the well just go to the local and put your name on the books as a white ticket. Been there done that theres no calls comming in. And I cant just goto the local and test for my card either. All the companies around here are union or require your card but the current companies hiring arent union so they dont hire out of the halls. Which if I got on with them there would be a union presence if I got anything to do with it.

All the training I recieved was OJT and thats it except for a couple transformer classes, ect. Pike basically has nothing on my training. Its all in my resume, refrences, and work history.

I'm just curious how to get certified with over 7 years in the trade and over 2 as a journeyman theres got to be something I can do. Any suggestions?

Why can't you test at the IBEW local that has jurisdiction in the area where you reside? If you can show 3 1/2 years of experience in the trade you should be allowed to test.
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

They wont let me. They said and I'm quoting this.

"Im not gonna let you or anyone just walk in off the street and take our test. Hell anyone can pass the test. Your going to have to put your name on the books and wait to get called out before you can test. We want you to go out with a crew and work so we can get feed back from them about your qualifications. I had to pay my dues and you will to."

Needless to say no calls since january and no calls= no money. No money= my ass is starting to look like an ethiopian only a little lighter in complexion.

Ohh yeah.. I had my resume and all kinds of papers backing up my time in the trade and at what positions. Been Journeyman or A class for little over 3 years now.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TRAMPLINEMAN View Post
    If I worked in the hall I'd tell you the same thing. If I was in the field working and you came out to my crew and I found out that you just tested out and was given a yellow Journeyman Linemans ticket, I wouldn't work with you. I really don't care how much experience you say you have. To me, you would need to prove yourself in the field for a minimum of six months before I'd consider letting you test.

That being said, here's another piece of information. You HAVE NOT worked as a Journeyman Lineman. You have a white ticket and that does not give you the privilege of putting Journeyman in your job title. If or when you ever go thru an IBEW apprenticeship and pass, you can call yourself a Journeyman Lineman. Until then, you are a lineman.
    Well stated.

Angry

Well excuse me Mister Almighty Tramplineman and Johnbellamy. Why dont you two come on down off your high horses for a min and I will help you get your heads out of your asses.

I am a lineman no diffrent than you. I'm just trying to making a living no diffrent than you. I've worked side by side with many union men and not one of them has had a problem with that. Now beings I'm a second generation lineman (Just for you tramp I left the journeyman off) whose father was union out of local 369.

Trust me I dont need a card to back my work up. My back up comes from a job well done and safe. And as far as you not wanting to work with me thats fine to each their own. I have no problems working with anyone union or not as long as they are safe.

That being said, heres another piece of information. I have worked as a JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN. A journeyman lineman is not limited to the IBEW I hate to inform you Almighty and Knowing Tramp. I Journeyman is classified as someone who goes through an apprenticship and recieves training as well as on the job experience usually for a peroid of 4 years. Upon completion of the apprenticship they are then considered a JOURNEYMAN. There are various companies throughout the good ole U.S. of A. that have their non IBEW apprenticships where graduates are.... Are you ready for this Tramp? JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN... And they are recognized by state, federal, and some international governments as JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN..

Now in my case there was no formal apprenticship. It was all OJT. Thats why I'm trying to see how to get my credentials. Now if you cant offer some advice instead of sticking your heads up your asses and blowing hot air then save the effort. And dont worry next time theres a storm I'll prolly be there bailing you out. But dont worry I dont care who I'm working with or bailing out as long as they are safe.

Well stated Special Ed. Just look at their profiles and that should tell you plenty about these two.

Ed, the whole deal about not being qualified because you came up non-union is a bunch of crap. If that was the case half of the union contractors from my state wouldn't qualify. If you can pass the test you should be allowed to work. That is the point of the test isn't it. That and if the steward has a problem with your work after you test out I am sure there are ways to take care of it. Nothing say promoting the union like telling guys they can't work union. Good going union managment. By the way tramp, and Bellamys profiles appear to be those of morons who don't think about what they put on line. I would take the firebrand statements with a grain of salt. Maybe John would like to inform us as to the superior nature of his apprenticeship. Was it contract, muni, PUD, large utility. Keep at it Ed, maybe go back to the hall and ask them what the deal is. Why no call, why not encourage more union participation instead of discouraging it. We can be our own worst enemies.

Default Ibew Brand

Quote Originally Posted by mainline View Post
    Ed, the whole deal about not being qualified because you came up non-union is a bunch of crap. If that was the case half of the union contractors from my state wouldn't qualify. If you can pass the test you should be allowed to work. That is the point of the test isn't it. That and if the steward has a problem with your work after you test out I am sure there are ways to take care of it. Nothing say promoting the union like telling guys they can't work union. Good going union managment. By the way tramp, and Bellamys profiles appear to be those of morons who don't think about what they put on line. I would take the firebrand statements with a grain of salt. Maybe John would like to inform us as to the superior nature of his apprenticeship. Was it contract, muni, PUD, large utility. Keep at it Ed, maybe go back to the hall and ask them what the deal is. Why no call, why not encourage more union participation instead of discouraging it. We can be our own worst enemies.
    You want IT, You earn IT, mainline I see by your post you quite or washed out of the JATC the first time thru, I know your a snot nosed lineman by your posts, got a chip on your shoulder, maybe a disapointment to Daddy?

So guys like you, Ed, or anyone else that wants to say how qualified you are, worked Rat, and now say Give me an IBEW ticket, undercut Union labor, now want to just waltz right in and take a Union posistion and challange the test to have the IBEW BRAND, well excuse the hell out of us Union Journreyman that say FU$K you, you got to earn it.

Now as far as my apprentiship, or my qualifications, anytime you would like to challange them, or work beside me, I would be happy to spank your wise little ass and send you cryin back home to Daddy junior.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by johnbellamy View Post
    Now as far as my apprentiship, or my qualifications, anytime you would like to challange them, or work beside me, I would be happy to spank your wise little ass and send you cryin back home to Daddy junior.
    I would be more than happy to work with you but you wont work with me. I'm just curious though. How am I undercutting the Union labor? I'm trying to join them and work with them. As far as waltzing in and taking me test what about when the union takes over a non-union company they dont make everyone go back and do an IBEW apprenticship do they? Nope I think not.. Yet according to you they have to pay their dues just like me and we would pay our dues if you let us join.

Now this whole thing has gotten off subject. So back to it.