Default A new bucket that doesn't smoke

Featured Sponsor

CVPS rolls out New England’s first hybrid bucket truck

May 16, 2008
    RUTLAND -- Central Vermont Public Service today unveiled the first hybrid bucket truck in New England in an effort to study and expand reliance on high-efficiency hybrid and plug-in vehicles.

“We believe this will be the utility truck of the future,” President Bob Young said. “We’re eager for that future, a future with fewer emissions and lower costs for customers.”

Dan Mackey, fleet manager for CVPS, and Carl Machia, chief line worker, showed students the new vehicle at schools in Rutland Town and Milton.

Mackey said the vehicle costs more "up front," but the lifetime costs are expected to be 23 percent lower than a regular bucket truck. He said the hybrid truck will use up to 60 percent less fuel than a traditional bucket truck, which at CVPS uses an average of $9,000 in fuel annually.

CVPS has utilitzed hybrid technology in recent years, adding 15 small hybrid SUVs to its fleet in 2005.

At low speeds, the hybrid’s electric motor supplies power to assist a smaller diesel engine, increasing fuel economy and reducing emissions. While braking, the torque passing through the transmission turns a generator to recharge the battery. When pulling away, the truck uses the torque created by the electric motor to move the vehicle.

The hybrid truck is a Navistar International 4300 Dura-star series with an International Eaton Hybrid Drive system. The fiberglass body includes 40 percent recycled material, and is 600 pounds lighter than a standard utility truck. The Hybrid truck was purchased through Clark’s Truck Center in Jericho.

Cool! Any pictures C?

Can I be Mr Cynical and guess that it's going to be a lightweight performer with a crumple zone that includes all the passengers? Not that it'll ever get up to a speed where anything crumples anyway.

I like the bit where he says that the new truck will result in lower costs for customers.... Uh huh?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default follow the link to a video

Is there anyone on from CVPS?

Follow the link to a video looks like a standard boom.

http://www.necn.com/Boston/SciTech/F...210972929.html

May 30, 2007
    PSE&G To Replace 1,300 Vehicles With Hybrids
    New Jersey’s Public Service Electric and Gas plans to reduce its carbon emissions by more than 81,000 tons by replacing 1,300 vehicles with hybrids and making changes in other areas of its corporate fleet.

During the next decade, the utility will invest in hybrid cars and light trucks, hybrid bucket truck prototypes, electric-drives and alternative fuels.

PSE&G will begin its vehicle replacement program this year. The switch is expected to result in a reduction of 8,500 tons of CO2 and 850,000 gallons of gasoline during the next decade.

As part of the program PSE&G will also become one of the first utilities in the nation using hybrid aerial lifts. Commonly known as bucket trucks, these specialized vehicles allow utility workers to safely assess and repair power lines located high atop utility poles. These new hybrid trucks were just recently introduced to the market with limited availability, but PSE&G has already purchased two and is scheduled to receive them later this year.

While the utility tests the new hybrid lifts for safety and durability, it will be expediting the installation of electric drive units in its 450 traditional aerial lifts. Electric drives allow utility workers to operate the lift, or the bucket, on battery power rather than keeping the engine running. A three-hour reduction in engine idle time per truck per day over the next decade will result in 6.5 million gallons of fuel savings and 73,000 tons of CO2 reduction.
    Last edited by CPOPE; 05-20-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: more info

CVPS always seems to have nice equipment. When they came up this winter they had sweet international dual axle chassis with ame55 altec booms. The buckets had all the bells and whistles and where beautifully set up. They looked like there company was willing to lay out some cash for top shelf equipment. I have a hard time believing that they would invest in crap. It would be nice to have a clean green bucket, but with the reliability issues we have with electronics on the current ones I wouldn't want to be the first guy to get one.

I like the idea of the electric pump for the boom operation, but hopefully it will be sized to provide the same "oomph" that the engine powered hydraulics give. When you're used to having a phat diesel engine letting you "chuck" your bucket about it can be a bit of a grind to get a wimpy electric version.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Quote Originally Posted by mainline View Post
    CVPS always seems to have nice equipment. When they came up this winter they had sweet international dual axle chassis with ame55 altec booms. The buckets had all the bells and whistles and where beautifully set up. They looked like there company was willing to lay out some cash for top shelf equipment. I have a hard time believing that they would invest in crap. It would be nice to have a clean green bucket, but with the reliability issues we have with electronics on the current ones I wouldn't want to be the first guy to get one.
    Altec booms would be fine if they could come up with a jib with 270 degrees rotation. This technology has been around for 20 years, but Altec can not figure it out

Here in Columbus, AEP has a hybrid, though not in my area (Columbus is broken up into four quadrants) the guy who uses it says it works well when not in the shop (mechanics garage) unfortunately it spends a lot of time in the shop.

What's the battery made of? I was just reading that hybrid batteries made of nickle produce so much carbons during construction that a hummer is actually more green for much of its life compared to a prius. I also read that half of a cars total gas consumed in its life is during its constrution. It pays environmentally to keep your used cars and not buy a new hybrid or even a new low emissions car. http://www.wired.com/science/planete...ies_09usedcars

Featured Sponsorr

At progress energy we have two that I know of and at least one more on the way. One stays in the shop and we have been told to make sure not to get the batteries wet. I hope we nerver have to get in a swamp or anything.