Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Rest Period policy

Featured Sponsor

I work for AEP in Michigan and we are getting ready for contract negotiations and was wondering what other Utilities do for rest periods? At AEP when whe work more than 16 hours in a 24 hour period we are supposed to get 8 hours off the clock for rest period. If any of that 8 hours falls during your regular schedule you get paid for that time of rest. The prolem we have though is when that all to familiar call comes after 11P.M. and it only last for about 4 hours you still have to be back in at 7A.M. resulting in a couple hours of sleep or no sleep and still having to work the next day or take vacation time. We have tried to get the company to change our rest period policy in the past but it has never worked so here we go again but this time we would like to have some ideas from other's in the field to see what works and what doesent, thanx Milz.......

Our contract said you must have 8 hours of rest before the start of your normal work day.
    So if you finish the call at 3am you are off for the next 8 hours on rest. Good luck.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Our contract states that if you work In the 8 hour window before our shift starts you recieve hour for hour. If you work 6 hours in that 8 hour window the whole shift is paid rest so you dont have to come back for say an hour. Also the hour for hour rule allows you to take it at the end of a shift, say you get called in at 4 you can work staight through and take your 4 hours starting at noon instead of going home and coming back(usually crews choice). On the weekends we are on our own!

4. Default

What company do you guys work for? That info will be real handy when it comes time. We really like the hour for hour deal but I would like to say this is what they do at ----- electric company.
    Last edited by Milz713; 08-22-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milz713 View Post
    What company do you guys work for? That info will be real handy when it comes time. We really like the hour for hour deal but I would like to say this is what they do at ----- electric company.
    Read my reply. It says National Grid - retired! A problem with the system we had was that some guys wouldn't go home on rest. They'd put the rest time 'on the book'. Or save it. Some had close to 200 hours. Then the company started to force them to use it up. That started another pissing match!
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by loodvig View Post
    Read my reply. It says National Grid - retired! A problem with the system we had was that some guys wouldn't go home on rest. They'd put the rest time 'on the book'. Or save it. Some had close to 200 hours. Then the company started to force them to use it up. That started another pissing match!
    Sorry, I was looking for Linehand's company because that set up seems like a pretty good one, we were actually talking about that last week and everyone agreed it would be better than what we have now.

What we have is you have to work 4 hours in the 8 hour period before your scheduled starting time. Then we are entitled to 6 hours rest. If our rest goes past 1/2 of our workday then we get the whole day off paid. We are going to try to get 8 hours rest on our new contract.

Default Milz

Check your P.M.s bud

Over here it is law that you can not work more than 16hrs straight or more than 16 hrs in a 24hr time period with out having a 8 hr break. we also had that if you got called out after 11pm for more than two hrs you had to take a 10hr break (which is paid at normal rate) when that finished you just dropped back into your normal shift. say we start at 6am then we had to be at home parked up before the 16hrs as the travelling time is classified work. so this sort of got messy sometimes. they have now brought in that we can not do more than 240hrs in a month as soon as you reach 240 you have to stay home or take leave but you cannot work any more than that.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

"Where an employee commences overtime work more than four hours prior
    to their normal working day or shift, they shall not return to, nor continue
    into their working day or shift unless otherwise requested until they have
    had eight hours' time off which shall be calculated from the time their
    overtime work finished plus one-half hour travel time where applicable.
    The Employee shall be paid for their working day or shift at straight-time
    until the eight hours' rest time expires at which time they must return to
    work to qualify for the remainder of their working day or shift at straight-
    time rates.
    Notwithstanding the above, if the eight-hour rest period expires later than
    the end of the normal luncheon period, or the mid-point of a shift worker's
    normal shift, an employee will not be required to return to work to qualify
    for the remainder of the work day or shift at straight-time rates.
    Where an employee is requested to continue work into their working day
    or shift or to return to work before they have completed their eight hours' rest period they shall continue to be paid at the overtime rate for all time
    worked, plus straight-time for the time their rest period overlaps their day
    or shift or the difference between the rest period taken and eight hours. At
    the end of the eight-hour rest period they shall continue to be paid at the
    overtime rate until they complete their work. If they are sent home before
    the end of their working day or shift they shall be paid at the straight-time
    rates for the remainder of their working day or shift."