Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Anybody have any pointers for seattle citylight's pre apprenticeship hiring process?

Featured Sponsor

Ever since I've heard about the pre-apprenticeship program at citylight, I've wanted to become a lineman. After a year or so of waiting, I got a postcard in the mail saying they are starting the hiring process. I was excited about the opportunity and applied. I took the written exam already and was pretty surprised to see about 200 people there.

I'm glad the 2 weeks of studying paid off. I found out last saturday that I qualified to continue onto the next step in the hiring process. The next test consists of a physical/working test. The physical consists of chip-ups, lat-pull downs, upright rows, grip strength, and cardio. The working test is using basic lineman tools. If I pass the physical test, I move onto the working test the same day.

Does anybody have any experience with the hiring process that can give me some pointers about the physical/working test? Like how they're graded and what kind of "basic" tools they will have me use?

I'm excited about this opportunity and want to do the best I can. I've been doing chin-ups for a few weeks now and can do a few now. But I don't have any equipment to do the others (lat pull downs, grip strength, and upright rows.)

Thanks!

2. Default Inside Man

It seems as if your the inside man, I actually have been looking into the Seattle City apprenticeship, i never saw an opening i am thinking of relocating to seattle seeing as I currently reside in SoCal.

What I would like to know is the whole process... the exam what kind of math questions do they pose in the written exam, as well as the interview and everything if you could, let all the wanna be's in on what to expect, that would be much appreciated.

Default Will?

Quote Originally Posted by Trike View Post
    Ever since I've heard about the pre-apprenticeship program at citylight, I've wanted to become a lineman. After a year or so of waiting, I got a postcard in the mail saying they are starting the hiring process. I was excited about the opportunity and applied. I took the written exam already and was pretty surprised to see about 200 people there.

I'm glad the 2 weeks of studying paid off. I found out last saturday that I qualified to continue onto the next step in the hiring process. The next test consists of a physical/working test. The physical consists of chip-ups, lat-pull downs, upright rows, grip strength, and cardio. The working test is using basic lineman tools. If I pass the physical test, I move onto the working test the same day.

Does anybody have any experience with the hiring process that can give me some pointers about the physical/working test? Like how they're graded and what kind of "basic" tools they will have me use?

I'm excited about this opportunity and want to do the best I can. I've been doing chin-ups for a few weeks now and can do a few now. But I don't have any equipment to do the others (lat pull downs, grip strength, and upright rows.)

Thanks!
    How did your test go?

Thumbs up

The test went very well. I scored perfect on all the tests (Physical/Working). From what I heard, 400 people took the written exam, about 160 qualified for physical/working tests. I just got the phone call today that I've been selected for the interview. I'm stoked and nervous at the same time. I've done very well up to this point, but interviews aren't my strong point.

I'm curious what types of questions they're going to ask.

Default safety

safety is always #1, always tell them what they want to here. They ask you a question like this "a co worker breaks a safety rule, but knowbody gets hurt, what do you." Your answer, I would tell safety.

They also will wan't to know that you plan on sticking around the area for a long time. They usually dont like people dragging ass when you get your ticket.

good luck

Default Good job.

Look up threads by Hemingray Insulators. He asked the same question and got some good answers.

Thanks! I'll make sure to look through it. I'm really excited I made it this far into the process.

I understand that this is a pre-apprentice and prior related experience is not required. But I have a feeling i'm going to be up against many that have alot of related experience. I just can't worry about that and do my best at the interview.

If there was one way to describe it, it would be "This is the perfect job for me".

Since I got the call, I've been and at the same time.

This thread has been my outlet to express myself. No better place, than to people that share the same goal and excitement.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Trike; 12-11-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Welp, I finally got word that I didn't get it. Not really sure how I got knocked out. I'm sure I did pretty good on the written exam, perfect score on the working/physical exams, and I thought I answered pretty good in the interview.

Makes me wonder how doomed I was from the very beginning, but I know I tried damn hard during the hiring process. I'll have to keep my eyes open for any of the next offerings and see how difficult it is to become a groundsman.

I'm pretty disappointed about it, but it only drives me harder for the next opportunity.

Good attitude man, I did the same thing with Tacoma Power's hiring process, made it all the way through, perfect scores on all the tests and practicals, then got the rejection letter

Keep working at it!

Default test

Featured Sponsorr

My advice would be to make yourself stand out from the rest of the crowd. I'm just North of Seattle and always amazed at the number of applications we get for apes. The ones that get picked always know someone in the company; otherwise, you just get lost in the mix. Try to find someone you know who works at the city or a friend of a friend, etc. Unfortunately, just appearing to be a good worker doesn't cut it anymore.Good luck and keep trying