Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Default Anyone work for SoCal Edison Need some Advise

Featured Sponsor

Hello All. I currently work for Edison and am coming up on my 6 months. Want to transfer out of my dept. to start the path of a Lineman. I took any job to get in and want to make sure I put in my transfer properly. The Dept I work in doesnlty exactly promote transfering out as I'm sure its hard for them to retain people. From what i've heard the are limited opportunities to transfer each year to Groundman A... So trying to collect all info I can to move in as quickly as possible for example anyone I can talk with in HR to get my name in, The Climbing School, What they (TDBU) are looking for in the people they hire, and anything that would help me stand out.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Default edison

I dont work for edsion but have been trying to get on with them. I tested for groundman in Sept and was told by hr that interviews may start in Jan 09. If you've already taken the CAST test i'm sure you'll get a groundman position since they hire within before going to the street.

3. Default Edison

Nice, Thanks for the info. When you tested was your CAST test #5108. I've also been trying to find out if that's the same test the Groundman are taking. I came from the street but applied as a Temp. Laborer since so many apply for Groundman... Might be an alternate option for you

-surfiji

4. Default groundman

Yes 5108 (CAST) is the groundman test and also the entry level test for other positions. I work with a lineman who worked transmission in santa clarita with edison. He told me if you've gone to a lineman college and have worked in the lineman trade it would be a big advantage in the interview.

5. Talking Edison

Thanks oilfieldape! Appreciate the response. Will drink a beer in your honor. Thanks for the help.

6. Default sce

man i am getting tired of waiting for them. i took my g-man test about 2 yrs ago, interviewed in jan of this yr and the guy i interviewed with said i did very well (of course i dont remember his name) and still have heard nothing. went to nlc been working as an apprentice for non union for 1 yrs and getting tired of waiting. so u lucky that ur in with them.

7. Default edison

Did you put that you were available to work anywhere in Southern CA?

8. Default

ya i did. and still no response

I currently work for SCE and have for 5 yrs I am currently a Journeymen electrician I've had a transfer in for 2 yrs unfortunately the unit seniority gets you. So all meter readers are ahead of you regardless of time its a business unit thing. Recently edison also signed an agreement with the union that screwed its employees by allowing those who have attended outside schools priority using another classification to allow outside people to hire in over CSBU employees and pushing those in line further back. Your best bet is to sign up with a school and do your time their, unfortunately no amount of practice or training within edison is relevant. On a side note I kept my transfer current attended a climbing school within edison, continued to practice with current instructors and have a considerable amount of training which overlaps with lineman training but its useless within the company sorry to shatter your hopes but I have fought this for 2 yrs and have continued to fall farther back on the transfer list.
    Good luck and let me know if you find a way in

Featured Sponsorr

I hired on about 7 months ago with SCE in the Santa Clarita Transmission Dept. I am not real sure about all the crap ya gotta go through to become a Groundman, but at our all hands meeting on Wednesday, they did say they are putting on 40 groundman next year. So, hopefully your chances are descent.