Thread: IBEW local 66

born in raised in Ohio, Lineman on the road in California and wherever storms take me

Default IBEW local 66

Featured Sponsor

I was wondering what the pay scale and work was like for Apes there. I was down there for Ike and had a good time. They are talking about maybe sending some laid off apprentices from MSLCAT down there. We can refuse if we want, but that would mainly come down to the pay scale....

2. Default

lineman2010, i was told that most ape's that get laid off take unemployment until work picks back up. Is this the case for you guys at MSLCAT? Is the unemployment a percentage of your lineman wage or something? Also, is it possible for someone to start the apprenticeship, get laid off, then not receive an offer to return...or is it just a matter of time and if you wait long enough, you get put back to work? I am just wondering these things for worst case senerio.

born in raised in Ohio, Lineman on the road in California and wherever storms take me

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper22 View Post
    lineman2010, i was told that most ape's that get laid off take unemployment until work picks back up. Is this the case for you guys at MSLCAT? Is the unemployment a percentage of your lineman wage or something? Also, is it possible for someone to start the apprenticeship, get laid off, then not receive an offer to return...or is it just a matter of time and if you wait long enough, you get put back to work? I am just wondering these things for worst case senerio.

Pretty much all apes take unemployment untill placed again. In the winter or when the job market slows way down your area can contact other areas that are not as slow. They will then call their laid off apes and tell them they can go back to work in that other area. For MSLCAT apes can refuse to work outside of the MSLCAT area and stay laid off. The problem is that you do not work so you push back the time when you can test and do not progress in your apprenticeship.

The reason I made the thread is that I will collect $475 a week on unemployment and really have to weigh my options as to working out of 66 or any other hall. I need to try and find out if I will make enough to off set living at home making $475 or going on the road to make X amount of money. I have a good little next egg saved up, but I will not use it at all on unemployment at home. If I go on the road and have to pay for a motel, food, and only work 40 hours a week at $22 an hour that next egg will shrink.

I figure a motel will be at least $150 a week, food will be another $50, transportation alone will be $300/$400 each way.

4. Default

Lineman 2010, I appreciate the reply, I was hoping you would. Look, I'm not an ape yet so I don't know squat, but just giving you my two cents, I would take the work at Local 66. I mean, it sucks to be on the road that long, but if they keep you busy for 2-3 months till work picks up in MSLCAT, you are at least that much closer to getting your ticket. Plus, you'll be making double what you get through unemployment right? Even if you break even with employment wage after living expenses, i'd just as well stay busy...and warmer in TX.

Got another question for you as well? Do you still receive your health benefits through union while you're laid off or not? Seems as though every apprentice gets offered their job back than eventually, depending on how long they choose to wait for it. I was worried that a guy could begin work, get laid off, but then never get offered to come back. That's good to know.

I will probably take the call and go to 66 if it is offered to me. The work was good when I was there for IKE (a lot of backyard stuff, so climbing and working out of your tools) and like you said it is moving forward with your apprenticeship.

As for health insurance. It goes by how many hours you have worked over a certain period of time. I did not get insurance for the first 3 or 4 months I was an apprentice because you need to work so many hours in a month or two consecutive months to qualify. Once you get those hours in though you start with a two month cushion. Since the contractor is paying for it and you do not have it yet if you get laid off you have that time frame to still have insurance. If you are working hours and half a lot of overtime you can build a larger time frame that you are still covered while being laid off.

I am not that up to date on the health insurance, so someone might come on here right behind me and say something different. That is how it works to my understanding.

JL rate for Local 66 outside is 27 and some change just apply app percentages to that!

Quote Originally Posted by LINEHAND View Post
    JL rate for Local 66 outside is 27 and some change just apply app percentages to that!

Thanks for the JL rate. Does anyone know the app percentages for the great southwest? I know each jatc district has a little different break down of percentages and what not.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by lineman2010 View Post
    Pretty much all apes take unemployment untill placed again. In the winter or when the job market slows way down your area can contact other areas that are not as slow. They will then call their laid off apes and tell them they can go back to work in that other area. For MSLCAT apes can refuse to work outside of the MSLCAT area and stay laid off. The problem is that you do not work so you push back the time when you can test and do not progress in your apprenticeship.

The reason I made the thread is that I will collect $475 a week on unemployment and really have to weigh my options as to working out of 66 or any other hall. I need to try and find out if I will make enough to off set living at home making $475 or going on the road to make X amount of money. I have a good little next egg saved up, but I will not use it at all on unemployment at home. If I go on the road and have to pay for a motel, food, and only work 40 hours a week at $22 an hour that next egg will shrink.

I figure a motel will be at least $150 a week, food will be another $50, transportation alone will be $300/$400 each way.
    Nest egg dude, nest egg.......E.S.