Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Ding...Ding....Ding......

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tramp67 View Post
    I think you are missing the point. If all the new apprentices and linemen are trained to always use the bucksqueeze and never freeclimb, just how many of them do you think will make their first attempt at freeclimbing to be when a brother is on a pole, injured and/or unconscious? Freeclimbing is a different method than belted climbing, just as using the bucksqueeze is. I always freeclimb, and feel comfortable with it. If I need to climb belted, I can do it, though not as proficiently as freeclimbing. My brothers that prefer belted climbing also can freeclimb, but not as fast as they do belted. They don't have the same confidence freeclimbing as they do belted, just as those of us that freeclimb don't have the confidence in doing it belted.
    If you've never freeclimbed your whole career, or plain ol' belted climbing, you sure aren't going to do anyone any good in a high stress situation making your first attempt, especially on a cluttered pole. If I can't have a pole buddy that is capable of making it up a pole in time to save my life if something happens to me, then I might as well be working alone or with a groundman!
    We have a winner.......

Tell him what he's won Johnny.......

A IBEW journeyman ticket.....

But wait there's more......

He earned the right as a qualified climber, to determine for himself, the correct, and also safe way to climb any pole , tower or structure.

Now Tina Turner, well thanks for playin, but you loose......

Your only parting gift, well is a big ol' shit sandwitch, served up to you by your old buddy. Choke on it.

2. Thumbs up The Only One Who Thinks Bellamy is Cool is Bellamy

Despite their external behavior, smug and arrogant people often have a negative self-image. They do not feel very good about themselves so they have to put on the smug and arrogant persona. Those who do not feel bad about themselves don't need to put on a smug and arrogant persona and they are much better adjusted in life.

This Ad was Paid for by Lineman Against Dumbasses

Quote Originally Posted by johnbellamy View Post
    We have a winner.......

Tell him what he's won Johnny.......

A IBEW journeyman ticket.....

But wait there's more......

He earned the right as a qualified climber, to determine for himself, the correct, and also safe way to climb any pole , tower or structure.

Now Tina Turner, well thanks for playin, but you loose......

Your only parting gift, well is a big ol' shit sandwitch, served up to you by your old buddy. Choke on it.
    Well, first off, I got a big laugh out of this post!! But, I do agree with johnbellamy. As a QUALIFIED climber, we should be able to, and allowed to, make our own determination as to the best and safest method to climb any pole, tower, or structure. After all, isn't that why we are trained, and why, to be able to climb without fall protection, OSHA mandates that we have the demonstrated ability to safely climb poles, towers, and structures?
    Turner, are you saying that it is acceptable to practice the hurtman rescue using freeclimbing and a retractable lanyard? Does that mean, if your pole buddy gets hurt on the pole, you'll call for someone to install a retractable lanyard on the pole so you can get your buddy down?

I think many of you are MISSING THE POINT!!! If you don't feel comfortable, or aren't qualified, for freeclimbing or belted climbing, then use the f*cksqueeze. Those of us that have demonstrated our proficiency, and have met the requirements of being a QUALIFIED climber, shouldn't have some piece of sh*t forced on us that makes our job more difficult, more cumbersome, and for those of us that are QUALIFIED, more unsafe!

This profession has inherent hazards that can't be mitigated, only controlled. We, as professional, QUALIFIED linemen, have the necessary skills, knowledge, and training to minimize the risks to ourselves and others. We are expected, and required, to use our best judgment and experience to perform our work in a safe, efficient, and high quality manner. Some pencil pusher in an offfice doesn't know how to make that judgment for us. As far as OSHA goes, they don't have a clue as to how to do our jobs, and what makes good sense with work rules. Last time I checked, there was only ONE OSHA field inspector in the whole U.S. of A. that had a powerline background, and he was working in Texas. We, as professionals, should be given the choice to perform our work in whatever manner we feel is the safest way. We don't need some idiot in an office somewhere telling us how to do our jobs.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Default Come on Tina......

Quote Originally Posted by turner2 View Post
    Despite their external behavior, smug and arrogant people often have a negative self-image. They do not feel very good about themselves so they have to put on the smug and arrogant persona. Those who do not feel bad about themselves don't need to put on a smug and arrogant persona and they are much better adjusted in life.

This Ad was Paid for by Lineman Against Dumbasses
    No reason to go all Oprah on me, It ain't your time of the month is it?

Look Oprah, you should also know not to provoke unstable people that show signs of agression, or I might halfta go all "Ike" on ya and bitch slap you to make myself feel better.

[QUOTE=tramp67;54904]
    Turner, are you saying that it is acceptable to practice the hurtman rescue using freeclimbing and a retractable lanyard? Does that mean, if your pole buddy gets hurt on the pole, you'll call for someone to install a retractable lanyard on the pole so you can get your buddy down?

Before the Bucksqueeze and Jelco we had a retractable lanyard it looked like seat belt. I don't think he was referring to a climbing school retractable lanyard.

One word...

Sumbitch

Talking Bucksqueeze failure

We been using them for about a year now. No reportable failures. The thing about the free climbing, for all you brothers on the web that work in major cites that have junk poles, ie..catv and telephone booster boxes, three to four telephone trunklines, fire alarm, utility fiber line, secondariers, 1,2, or 3 primary circuits on a pole,etc, if you go by the rules that you do not have to use the bs after you are over an object four feet or less that would break the fall, then the bs is good for about 18 ft, after that it is free climb to get over all he crap on these junk poles to get to your work area. so why not just free climb the 18-20 feet. When I climb transmission poles, i use the bs because it is required and I have always hitch-hiked the transmission poles.

8. Question It's an act right?

"Does that mean, if your pole buddy gets hurt on the pole, you'll call for someone to install a retractable lanyard on the pole so you can get your buddy down?" Quote from Tramp

Mr. Tramp the apes are trained to free-climb in the event it would be necessary. The pole-top retractable is for training purposes only. These training devices are a common tool in most utility yards. No they do not take these to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    We been using them for about a year now. No reportable failures. The thing about the free climbing, for all you brothers on the web that work in major cites that have junk poles, ie..catv and telephone booster boxes, three to four telephone trunklines, fire alarm, utility fiber line, secondariers, 1,2, or 3 primary circuits on a pole,etc, if you go by the rules that you do not have to use the bs after you are over an object four feet or less that would break the fall, then the bs is good for about 18 ft, after that it is free climb to get over all he crap on these junk poles to get to your work area. so why not just free climb the 18-20 feet. When I climb transmission poles, i use the bs because it is required and I have always hitch-hiked the transmission poles.
    I believe by the rules if it's inclement weather you have to use it from start to fininsh. I personal hate it. When i was coming down a pole free climbing the damn belt got hung up on a pole step.Now how is that safe? I could go on all day about this.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Has any one watched the video that comes with the buttsqueeze? I was tired after watching that guy they had was doing more work. When do you climb a ice pole with the ice where your belt is.