Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Bucksqueeze accidents/failures

Featured Sponsor

Pretty simple...

If you guys have had an accident related to this device please post this info here...

I'd also like to read any info on the other brands of scare straps...

thank you
    Edge

2. Default Free Climbing Accidents/Bucket truck failures

Pretty simple

How many careers and lives have ended becuase of free climbing?

IBEW Founder
    "Henry Miller, aged forty-three, the head lineman in the employ of the Potomac Light and Power Company, fell from a pole last evening about 11:30 o'clock on Newark avenue near Tenleytown road, in the Cleveland Park subdivision, and died from injuries after suffering for nearly five hours." Evening Star, Saturday, July 11, 1896, p. 21

"The very success of the industries that spurred the growth of the United States depended on the work of those who erected the power poles and connected the lines, risking-and often losing-their lives in a dangerous trade. So dangerous that Henry Miller, who contributed so much to the future safety of IBEW electricians-was killed 105 years ago". IBEW Web-SIte

Is it 1896 or 2009?

Let's here from the saves

Bucket trucks fail as well let's park all the trucks and really be linemen
    Last edited by turner2; 02-05-2009 at 11:13 PM.

wowie thanks for the history lesson!!!!

and here for all these years I thought Miller fell from the pole because of an electric shock (no rubber gloves in those days) and that while he did suffer a tragic head injury (no hard hats in those days either) from the fall it was the electric shock that got him... but hell yeah.. there wasn't any fu(ksqueze back then so free climbing killed him...

for fu(kssakes man this aint a GD anti safety thread but rather a hey lets see what the success rate is for this thing ... how GD reliable is it? and should we be putting lives and trust to this thing? hell that's why I'd like to see what kinda accidents have been seen with other brands of scare straps the "stopfall" the Jelco ect... hell my company said we would have a choice then just said we've gone to the Buckingham device use it or find some high way pointed toward your house and hit it...

and yes buckets fail ... and yeah It would n't hurt my feeling to park the friggin things I'd rather work from the stick... but wouldn't you like to know of issues with certain ones? hell we had a thread going on about that prolly a year ago turned out there was a manufacturing defect... hell I'd just as soon by brand A if it had a higher "success" then buy brand B that has some know issues...

I don't know man maybe you just took me wrong...

I'm just trying to get some information so we can make a more informed decision about OUR jobs... and not have shit required by some ties in a fuggin office...

whatever

ohhh and fu(K the damned bucksqueeze

Edge
    Last edited by Edge; 07-10-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: can't spell..1sttime drunk as shit and revisting threads the 2nd time

Lightbulb Read more into it....

Turner. Henry Miller was electrocuted by a 2200 volt line, which resulted in him falling. Climbing at night with no flashlight or spotlight, but by lantern back then. He was a traveler back then, and staying in a loft with other linemen. After his accident, his fellow linemen took him home and put him in bed, and not to a hospital. He fell asleep and never woke up. He fell as a result of a contact, and he made contact as a result of little to no lighting and what I imagine would have been a crummy pole framing job. He was often given the worst and most dangerous tasks, many at night, as many electric companies did not like him for founding our union.

This had nothing to do with fall protection.
    Proud to be an IBEW (Utility) Journeyman Lineman; and d@mned proud to be an Army Lineman (12 quebec) and an Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran in the U.S. Army Reserve ...

5. Default Oh Well

The history lesson was to make a point about safety and the men who have died from the lack of safety. I have read all of the stories about Mr. Miller and cut this info directly from the IBEW site.
    Anyway my point is men have been lost due to old school practices. No product can be 100% fool proof. However, any attempt to make our trade and our brothers more safe should be welcomed. If one man is saved with this product it is worth the trouble.
    Hell, the Bashlins you have mentioned caused a buddy to be injured due to failure. Anything can happen but every advantage helps.

6. Default let the lineman choose for themselves

turner keep it a fair fight, by your logic we can all quit and get accounting jobs, that would reduce the powerlineman death or injury rate as well, because there wouldnt be any body doing linework... just what i need, more gadgets hanging off my belt and gettin me entangled in shit. hello from local 47.

After Henry Miller died, when an electric shock caused him to fall from a pole on July 10, 1896, J.T. Kelly wrote of him: "He was generous, unselfish and devoted himself to the task of organizing the electrical workers with an energy that brooked no failure."

That devotion to the task of organizing, that capacity to turn plans into action, to change a dream of unity and bargaining power into the reality of the Brotherhood, leaves all union members indebted to the legacy of Henry Miller.

Default Make a choice

This subject raises alot of passion. I don't have a problem with whatever the individual chooses. I would like to hear about preferances, Free Climb Miller Fall Stop or Bucksqueeze.

We must hold a tailboard, We must assess the hazzard of falling, We should document what options we have as part of that tailboard to protect ourselves from the hazzards.

Now I know some of you apes do not even hold a tailboard. No Problem w/me. Just be aware of the hazard and protect yourself how you see fit.

Live Free or Die,
    CPOPE

Miller Stop Fall

Buckingham

http://www.jelco.ca/images/products/pdfs/2-1.pdf

FREECLIMB
    Utility worker killed at Chester County road construction site
    by The Associated Press Thursday May 22, 2008, 7:33 AM
    EXTON -- A utility worker is reported dead after an accident at a construction site on U.S. Route 202 in Chester County.

Officials with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation say a worker fell from a utility pole after a passing car struck a hanging wire near Swedesford Road at about midnight. Investigators are unclear if the worker was electrocuted or if the loose cable pulled him to the roadway below.

It also is unclear who the worker was employed by. He is believed to have been working on a project to widen several overpasses along the highway.

A stretch of the highway between Pennsylvania Routes 29 and 401 was closed for about six hours early today.
    Last edited by CPOPE; 02-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.

that was a verizon supervisor he was standing on the ground when a passing truck caught the line. The line whipped him in the head as it was ripped down and killed him instantly

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Pretty simple...

If you guys have had an accident related to this device please post this info here...

I'd also like to read any info on the other brands of scare straps...

thank you
    Edge

Before you do anything do yourself a favor and consider the Jelco Generation 4 system.
    It's tried and true. It was subjected to years of testing and modification thus gen 4. The tests were exaustive by Hydro Quebec linemen who did nothing but use it and provide feedback.
    The Old Lineman