1. Default Best places to work

Featured Sponsor

I'm a 3rd year apprentice working for a small muni in California. I'm thinking about leaving my company once I top out in search of more experience and better opportunities. Does anyone have some suggestions for companies to consider? If so, what are the pluses and negative? Thanks

2. Default More info

All I'm hoping to get out of this posting is some feedback on other linemans experiences with companies they've worked with, preferably in California since that's where I'm at. This would be a way to give me and other lineworkers a heads up when considering companies to work for. The info I'm interested in would be things like- Wages, benefits (healthcare, retirement), OT availabilty, do they rubber glove?, do they have any transmission work? The voltages in their system.

Can't give you any Calif. infor but I'll give you some general info. Most IOU's will have fairly high transmission voltages. I've only worked for 4 but the voltage ranged from 500 KV on down. Rubber gloves up to 5 KV with one and rubber gloves to 15 KV with the rest.

Some have only certain crews that work on Transmission lines and some do it all.

There's lots of Calif. guys on here that'll give you all the scoop.

Most Munis and REC's won't have hardly any Transmission voltages, yet I know of one Muni. that has 345 KV and an REC that has 230 KV. It's a big mishmash in the USA.

Sometimes you can contact the local and they'll mail you a copy of their agreement. It'll give you some good info.

4. Default

If your union and pretty good at what you do, trampin in the midwest pays pretty good. Illinois-Missouri. JF Electric, Asplundh, Parr, LE Meyers. Travel Ticket to IBEW 2, 702, 309, or 51. Stay away from the utility, they dont treat thier people as well as they treat thier contractors.

5. Default

Thanks for the replies.

Default Pacific Gas & Electric

PG&E Northern California. Great Company, Excellent employees. Excellent service area. Great equiptment. Cutting edge technologies. They have a state-of-the-art Training Center in Livermore Ca. Very engaged L.U. 1245 I.B.E.W.
    Last edited by Oakland T-Man; 03-30-2009 at 10:14 PM.

7. Default

I would stay away from Pacificorp. The hands are great but the management has lost any sense of honor. I guess Mr. Buffet didn't get rich being the nice homespun fella the media touts him to be. Do yourself a favor and find another offering.

Quote Originally Posted by AEE/linehand View Post
    If your union and pretty good at what you do, trampin in the midwest pays pretty good. Illinois-Missouri. JF Electric, Asplundh, Parr, LE Meyers. Travel Ticket to IBEW 2, 702, 309, or 51. Stay away from the utility, they dont treat thier people as well as they treat thier contractors.
    That ain't no joke, i've had alot more fun trampin and workin for the contractors then i've had with the utility

Default outside

Featured Sponsorr

Which muni do you work for??? do you want to travel, it a different life working outside then at a utility. I have worked for both and outside if for me but to each his own. you have a job where you can be home every night its not like that outside but you also make alot more money outside, so you have to weight it out its up to you if your a single guy go for it but if your only a 3rd step you have awhile to think about it.be safe
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE